Safeway - Hard work gets you no where | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"Hard work gets you no where"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Portland, OR

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great manager so it was better than average

Cons

For the work I did, I did not deserve minimum wage. I worked extremely hard and took pride in my work but I never was able to move up or get a wage. Everyone looks down on courtesy clerks too. I worked the hardest and always had a smile on my face yet there was no where to go. I felt trapped and under paid for the work I did.

Advice to Management

Big on safety and it does show. I had a great manager, some coworkers did not.. so the experience people have had with Safeway depended on their manager and the culture THEY created.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. "Great HR experience, iffy otherwise"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- The internship program itself was phenomenal; HR did an excellent job creating a program that would help its interns network and effectively navigate the company. We had intern activities nearly every week that allowed us to meet each other and socialize, both in and out of the Safeway context. We also had the opportunity to meet top execs in the company (like former CEO Steve Burd), hear their stories and ask them questions.
    - My department did a great job of incorporating me into their work. I was introduced to everyone and invited to any outings that they had. Everyone I met encouraged me to ask for help if I ever needed it.

Cons

- The intern experience is highly dependent on the department. Mine didn't seem to know what to do with me; others seemed to throw their interns the administrative work; but still, others had an excellent time, so it's really conditional.
    - My department did not give me nearly enough work to keep me occupied for an 8-5 job. I found myself sitting around waiting for emails without anything else to focus on.
    - Without going into detail about what department I worked in, the project I was assigned for my 10-week internship provided me ample free time but still somehow wasn't a project that I could reasonably expect to complete, due to its long-term scope.
    - The corporate culture is very traditional and old-fashioned, with most of the top-ranking execs being male and/or white.
    - Since this was my first internship I initially thought the pay was great, but I realized that it was not at all competitive.
    - No one seemed exceptionally excited to be there, and in fact, some employees looked downright tired and unhappy.

Advice to Management

- Get with the times and hire more diverse execs.
    - Emphasize to your staff the purpose of interns and give them real projects to complete throughout the duration of their internship.

"Slaveway"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Pullman, WA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Pullman, WA

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're desperate, I suppose the stability is a good thing. The biggest pro is that, aside from managers, employees must join the union, which helps keep said employees from being fired for trivial reasons.

Cons

You're constantly talked down to and/or yelled at. It is stressful, and extremely unrewarding work. 10 cent raises every 6 months would not be as terrible if the company would actually stick to it.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and you will find they will be more loyal.