Safeway - Plant Supervisor | Glassdoor

"Plant Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Supervisor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Safeway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Career advancement opportunities
- senior management

Cons

-Collective bargaining plants
- no transparency

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Underpaid, ignored, and expected to know everything without training."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Boulder, CO

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat good pay,paid weekly, low lighting in departments (so that your eyes don't hurt), some opportunities for promotions, you can have 40 hours per week even as a part-time employee.

Cons

Managers often won't share important information (pay raises, pay minimums, schedule changes) unless asked directly about it specifically, 'premier' stores expect too much to be accomplished by a limited crew, at or just above minimum wage, HORRIBLE Union contract (in Colorado, at least), seniority is the absolute key to how people treat you, you will stay 'part-time' until you're a manager or have been there for two years no matter how many hours you work (so no benefits), and they won't like to train you past the first day.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better. A meeting once per year where you offer employees soda and pizza isn't how you make your employees happy.

"Actually wanting to do my job well was a completely disheartening, saddening experience."

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After putting in your time, wages aren't bad.

Cons

Working in the store, the general feel is that you're going to get stuck there. Most of the people that I encountered there had started working there as a temporary thing, but then stared earning too much money to go elsewhere. Most of the other courtesy clerks really didn't care about their job at all - at the end of the day, it didn't matter if you actually did your job or not. People who put in more effort didn't actually get rewarded for much at all. When I first started working at the store, it was required for one person to sweep the entire store every fifteen minutes. Such a task was only really possible if everything went right and the store wasn't busy. By the time I left, they had relaxed the rule, but then also said that if you didn't complete the sweep exactly as they wanted it then you'd get fired.

Management at my store varied. I only liked one of my three managers (there was one store manager and two assistant managers). One of my assistant managers sat in his car on his lunch break watching me put away carts. Even though the person before me didn't put away any of the carts (leaving me with a bunch of carts to put back, which I wasn't sure I'd be able to do in an hour), he called the store to speak to one of the checkers to pull me away from my job to tell me that I wasn't putting away the groups of carts in the order that he wanted them to be put away. The second assistant manager - the one I liked - actually thanked me for doing my job and did what he could to make my experience there better. He was literally the only one there to consistently make sure people who did there jobs were appreciated in some small way. The manager himself was terrible at scheduling, more than once didn't follow union rules about hours, and wasn't very good at communication.

The shops are a joke - for one, it's possible to complete the spirit of the shop without following it to the letter, but you'll still get penalized if you do. Basically, their mystery shopper system serves as an incentive for courtesy clerks to avoid customers like the plague. If you actually want to follow Safeway's rules, it means that you won't get to know any of your co-workers (unless you work in one of the departments). Additionally, the three-cart "loose" cart maximum in the parking lots is an unrealistic joke. I rarely ever see a Safeway on shop when it comes to carts.

Lastly, the union is terrible. They asked me to sign a document saying I had read a piece of information they'd never given to me - and then threatened my job because they were taking too long to give me the necessary information to *legally* sign everything. Unions in opt-in states may be better run, but the one I had to be a part of was terrible.

Advice to Management

Find more realistic expectations for your workers, loosen up your rules, and find a way to make going to work an enjoyable experience for your low-level employees: they're the ones interacting with your customers the most.