Sage Hospitality - Sadly lacking in professional corporate management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sage Hospitality

"Sadly lacking in professional corporate management"

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Range of properties provide opportunities for individuals growing their career and willing to relocate.

Cons

Inconsistent communication between corporate personnel and property management. A much higher degree of politically based promotion than I've experienced with any other corporation I have been involved with. this, unfortunately, results in people who are not qualified being in key decision making positions incorporating the 'cya'
modis operandi.

Advice to Management

Make the commitment to hire and promote managerial personnel, both property and corporate level, based on objective criteria, knowledge and skill, as opposed to personal relationships. Commit to clear, honest, straight forward communication. Then breathe both in and throughout the organization.

Other Employee Reviews for Sage Hospitality

"Upward mobility, but little work/life balance"

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a hotel management company that manages franchised hotels is advantageous to working at a corporate property in many ways. Primarily, there is more ability to move talent up through the ranks quickly and there is more flexibility to make local budget decisions. I felt empowered working for Sage - in that I could speak my mind and have my opinions valued by leadership team members. Management compensation is average for hotel management. I also recall having a decent benefits package.

Cons

I worked for a division of this company that no longer exists, and as a result my position was eliminated. The company grew too quickly, with no SOPs, and did not see the ROI needed to sustain the pace. The other side of the coin of being able to be promoted faster, is the side where there's not as much reserve to support the hard times. My criticism isn't so much with the cutting back of staff during economic downturns - I understand business and sometimes that is necessary. However, the way it was done at the property where I worked was a few people at a time, then a couple months later, a few more, etc. It created an environment of tension and paranoia, as no one knew who might be next.

"Good atmosphere for hotel professionals, but has a few draw backs."

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

Great culture. Coworkers feel like family. There is a lot of loyalty amongst employees, and many employees have been with Sage for quite a while. The company is currently on a strong growth curve and should continue to benefit from this growth for years to come.

Cons

First of all, the company is owned by two individuals, so many decisions are impacted by what's best for their personal situations, not always what's best for the company.
    Pay is generally below market which is evident in their ability to recruit and retain top talent.
    Health benefits are WAY below market. If you don't need great health benefits then this should be a small factor for you. If you are providing benefits for a family you should count a large added expense in with the rest of your comp package. I can't count the number of times I've called a medical provider to inquire about a bill and heard "Ooh, wow. Most insurance plans fully cover something like this. I'm sorry, but it looks like you're responsible for the difference."