Sage - People Focused organisation | Glassdoor

"People Focused organisation"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
Current Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Emphasis on people development
Brand is improving, fresh and new

Cons

Just starting to become leading edge with new technology and markets

Other Employee Reviews for Sage

"Frustrating place to work if you genuinely care enough about your work..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you like a stable income without much hassle, this is the job. Think union.
    - Flexible with work hours.
    - Telecommuting options.
    - 9-5 job and good work/life balance. Work is left at work.
    - Standard benefits like medical, dental and RRSP contributions

Cons

- Direct line-management has absolutely no clue what is going on technologically.
    - Many, if not all Sage products need a rewrite but talent pool is thin and limits the company to do the right thing.
    - The culture is very odd. 90% of the team (of 40+ people) I worked for has been there for 10+ years. It is not necessarily a bad thing but the culture feels like a union setting where people tried to do the minimum to get by. There is not enough caring into the work and holding people who wants change held back.
    - These developers mentioned are also driven by the outdated technological vision laid out by the architects and line-managers. Meaning you will get frustrated with resistance for change for the better. When there is change, I can feel my hair grow.
    - Never got an exit interview to share and express my list of ideas for improving the company. (I voluntarily left and being not let go because of just cause why no exit interview?.) Very disappointed with the HR (hiring and exit) process.
    - No-fun culture. The company invest very little into the social events. This causes morale to be low. (One of the last Christmas party was a 300+ people potluck. Foo-bar me! Lame!). I am ashamed to be part of the company when I go through some events like this.

Advice to Management

- The technology stack is outdated. More often than not the increase of technical debt is driven by managers and architects who have not kept up to speed with the latest trend and technology and making incompetent decisions.
    - Took on lots of responsibilities and critical-decision making without properly compensated over a decent amount of time (2 years). Would not reward me with a title bump. The main of the major reason I left. My advice is see who your leaders/talents are and reward accordingly. Have your line-managers coach your talent rather than micro-manage them.
    - Identify your talents within the company and help them help you hammer proper technological solution out instead of nursing a collapsing and obsolete software designs. Taking something 20 years to build doesn't mean it will take another 20 years to build the next solution. Open up that discussion with the right people. There are chance to retain the right talent before it's too late.
    - Give your employees proper exit interviews so you understand what the problem of your company is. Sweeping that information under the rug will not help you get out of this mess.

2. "a fair place"

Pros

can learn ERP product knowledge and have the potential to expose to lots of technologies. The office enviorment is good.

Cons

Some of the products are using very old technologies and it takes a long time to get promoted, lack of incentive program.

Advice to Management

The management team need more products knowlege and create more opportunities for employee to grow on their career path. End.