Saia LTL Freight - Not sure who they are | Glassdoor

"Not sure who they are"

Current Employee - Account Manager
Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Good technology both internal and for customers.

Cons

Not sure who they are as a company. Can't be all things to all people.

Advice to Management

Focus on one branding message/service and do it well.

Other Employee Reviews for Saia LTL Freight

"Terrible place for work/life balance"

Former Employee - Dock Supervisor
    Former Employee - Dock Supervisor

Pros

Good pay, that is about all that is good

Cons

terrible hours, always unsure of expectations, no room for career growth, high rate of turnover of staff due to hiring part time employees, company is reactive instead of proactive, overly consumed with internal goals instead of servicing the customer, not worried about employees work/life balance....I could go on forever....overall a terrible place to work if you have a family and want some sort of life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Hire managers in key positions instead of drivers and dock workers to run the company

"Honest work with good pay"

Former Employee - Dock Worker, Driver
    Former Employee - Dock Worker, Driver

I worked at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was generally interesting. Going to new places performing new and often very challenging maneuvers to hit docks throughout the city kept work interesting. Fast pace work environment to get deliveries off in appointment windows and freight pickups before closing times. Management treated me very well, although other drivers and warehouse workers didn't feel the same. I personally had great opportunities to move up. Started as a forklift driver then dock lead position, then went on to dock to driver Trainee and then PUD driver. I wouldn't be sure where to go from the driver position though. And I couldn't imagine myself doing that alone for the rest of my life. You really have to be prepared to do anything to make deliveries. Hand unloading freight when liftgates are always in short supply got you up and working hard! Raises are very consistent and generous.

Cons

Limited opportunity to use vacation, long hours, inconsistent routes and frequent driving in extremely tight areas make work stressful. Addition of interior facing cameras in trucks and micromanagement of even the safest drivers was the real downfall to me. Constantly being pulled aside and critiqued for small driving errors was really bothersome. Saw a lot of people lose jobs over videos. For me I just knew I would rather leave on my own terms. Warehouse was typical for the industry, freight was often loaded poorly, not secured, damaged, or in an order that wasn't as efficent to run. Last delivery is often on the tail, first is often in the nose. Managing appointment windows can be difficult with poor loading practices. Some of the warehouse equipment was really junky. A lot of it was honestly unsafe and I often wondered how in this day and age a company can get away with a fleet of forklifts that have malfunctioning brakes, no lights, no working horns, often broken seatbelts and no functioning parking brakes can continually stay out of OSHAs view.

Advice to Management

I saw a few supervisors in positions that they weren't competent to fill. And it was no secret. Upper management knew it, and workers knew it. They hold everyone back from performing at the highest potential. Their inability to preform the job became a joke amoung all employees and yet these individuals hold these upper positions for 5-10+ years. Despite plenty of motivated individuals being eager to move up, capable of doing better work, and emproving the entire facility and making everyones lives easier. Employees become jaded when they are unable to move up even though they demonstrate superior knowledge and work ethic. Holding these low performing supervisors in positions is costing SAIA it's best employee's.