Saks - I worked at Saks full-time for more than 1.5 year | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Saks

"I worked at Saks full-time for more than 1.5 year"

Current Employee - Fsession in New York, NY
Current Employee - Fsession in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make lots of money, discounts, location

Cons

Pressure for credit cards, overflood the sales,

Other Employee Reviews for Saks

"My Introduction to Poverty"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Saks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company attempts to train employees. I didn't really use the discount which everyone gushes about (not me) since it was a way to get into hock to the company store paying more for the stuff in the end since you HAD to use the credit card to get the discount. Of course, you could pay it back right away, but the pay was so low. I liked the fitters a lot. I had some interesting experiences with clients.

Cons

The superstars (REPEAT SUPERSTARS) in my department snagged 60,000 dollars a year and I believe there was ONE of them in my department who made that astronomical sum. Average was more like National Poverty Level. Most people I worked with were borderline desperate, aggressive, exhausted, stressed out people. The place is physically DANGEROUS and the company doesn't take it seriously. Dark, cave-like stockrooms with knobs sticking out from the floor, dangerous rolling shelves, falling boxes, broken mirrors, dissembled display equipment. People were getting hurt constantly. Someone rolled over my big toe with a two tier rolling clothes rack in the store room causing a nice injury. A box went flying from the top of one of these racks, nearly hitting me in the head. BAD NEWS. You had to go up rolling ladders in the dark (ladders with about 8 steps). I worked like a long longshoreman, took extraordinary amounts of crap from coworkers and clients, worked through the holidays missing a lot due to the awful hours. And despite it all, the incredible hard work, the physical exhaustion, the constant pressure to make sales goals, coping with the returns which come out of your salary since you are commissions only, I was unable to make ends meet. One last thing....... it was tough to go out to eat and the cafeteria there had the most foul and expensive food imaginable.

Advice to Management

Read my cons. Take safety seriously. Get real about money. Adjust the compensation so that employees can live. And since you obviously take training seriously, make the training match the reality of the brutal, cutthroat competition necessary due to the all commission system and the armies of warm bodies hired and wheeled in on conveyor belts as exhausted, injured walking wounded are wheeled out.

"Lack of People of Color in Leadership Roles / Incestuous Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Summer Fridays
    -Competitive salary if you are coming in to the company from a competitor

Cons

-Blurred lines with management: for example, having an open-door policy with your direct manager is encouraged, however, be warned because your manager more than likely is friends outside of the office with their manager so you don't really have the option to above your manager's head without it being awkward and/or putting your job at risk.
    -If you aren't best friends with your manager, there really is no hope in moving up within the company. Work ethic and being professional isn't not enough - I've seen people move up only when they kiss up and have a friendship with their managers and in turn, met multiple people who have worked for the company for YEARS and have never been promoted simply because they aren't best friends with their manager -- extremely detrimental environment for someone who is professional and trying to move up the corporate ladder
    -The work/life balance is a myth - many of my coworkers have had to come in or be "on call" during the weekends. Long hours (>8) are typical
    -Only a small handful of people of color in leadership roles - the others are in entry-level roles. I was shocked to see how many older people there were at Saks who had been employed there since the 70s and 80s in the same exact entry-level positions they started in.

Advice to Management

-Listen to your people - they are on the front lines and doing the work
    -For Directors and up: stop relying on your managers to tell you how things are going with their direct reports and actually set up time with those direct reports (alone) and ask them how things are going - you will have a bigger picture of what is going on within that department.