Salesforce - Good place to work at | Glassdoor

"Good place to work at"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My first few months with Salesforce is good. I've worked in the field for 10 years and been at companies ranging form large corporations to a small startup. I read some of the one star reviews and think people might have different experiences on different teams or people just have different expectations. As for my own experience, compared to the companies I worked for in the past, Salesforce is a good company to work for. It offers above market salaries but also asks you to work hard for it. No doubt the amount of things to learn at the beginning is overwhelming. Luckily new employees are offered plenty of formal training classes. Everyone on the team is ready to help, too, because they got tons to do and really want you to be able to contribute. The company is growing fast so politics might get worse. But don't kid yourself. Wherever there are people, there is politics. I once worked at a 50 employee startup and had to deal with the constant BS going on in the office. Find a good manager who can shield you from a lot of this if you are a technical minded person. And the company allows you to jump between opportunities if you don't really like your current team and/or manager and they can't hold you back. My previous job was at a large software company, where an internal transfer took at least a few months...an offer letter can take up to 6 months for it to go up the management chain and get a headcount...the quality of software was a mess because the management only cares about metrics and spreadsheets and no idea what they were building. So far I haven't seen the same problems at Salesforce. The scrum teams are very small and agile. They do expect you to do real work very quick but working 10-12 hour shifts is not typical.

Cons

Lots to learn in the first 3-6 months, very hectic. The company is growing very fast, some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Cut the bureaucracy, keep focusing on the quality of the product

Other Employee Reviews for Salesforce

"employee experience depends on department in which you work"

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- smart, fun people
    - great location to work
    - flexible work schedules in some depts.
    - good compensation and benefits
    - dynamic, successful, growing company
    - they throw a great party
    - time off for volunteering/corporate philanthropy

Cons

- bad work/life balance
    - working in G&A is not valued
    - leaders earned promos based on who they know and how they self-promote rather than quality
    - "art of war" mentality
    - boys club/female leadership minimal at best
    - titles are very similar to old school banking; there are so many layers of VPs it's mind boggling

Advice to Management

measure performance on results, not those who are good at marketing themselves

"A great company with some serious growing pains"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- great benefits
    - great location
    - internal mobility
    - relaxed culture

Cons

- too many teams working on the same problems, ignorant of each other
    - too many top-down directives that disrupt teams
    - too long a chain of middle management--communication between teams is ineffective or non-existent
    - infrastructure has not scaled with the company

Advice to Management

Upper management seems dramatically disconnected from what actually goes on