Salesforce - Best company I've ever worked for, but things are changing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Salesforce

"Best company I've ever worked for, but things are changing."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

World's most innovative company. The pay.

Cons

The bigger it gets the more it loses its edginess & appeal.

Advice to Management

Don't let salesforce become the next Oracle. Promote more from within. Find better ways to communcate down rhe food chain. Cost-cutting has its costs.

Other Employee Reviews for Salesforce

"IT "Leadership""

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Most people in IT, Finance and other support departments seem to be here to get the salesforce name on their resume. That is definitely a plus. Pay seems good, but maybe not when considering the hours.

Enormous turnover leads to lots of opportunities for advancement if you can outshine flashy external hires from consulting backgrounds.

Cons

Inflated titles and absent support staff leads to many "managers" and "directors" who are purely individual contributers. All managers and directors have individual contributor duties.

For people managers, headcount are constantly changing--just because you have a team of 6 this year doesn't prevent half of them from being taken away next year.

Management structures change multiple times per year, and even change above the CIO.

The internal systems are falling apart and leaders all the way up are much more focused on politics and image. They completely neglect anything objectively meaningful or helpful.

The environment has gotten so toxic in the last couple years that leaders semi-openly talk about trying to get out of here.

The CIO doesn't lead the organization at all, and everyone goes to either the "chief of staff" or the head of the PMO instead. The chief of staff is not qualified / competent to run a single department, let alone being a de facto head of IT.

IT is forced to pay for all related costs out of the IT G&A budget with no charge-backs. This inflates our budget and hides that we're actually significantly underfunded, especially considering the technical debt. (we've almost figured out wifi in the last year, but we still need wired hubs in the conference rooms)

Much worse than the state of IT is the state of Finance. Every month we're asked to change behavior because something in accounting /finance changed, or something was miscoded or reclassified and no one knew until after the books closed. People and processes change so often that there is no chance of hitting your budget honestly, or even understanding where it came from.

We are told that it's worse to be under budget than overbought, because if we're under in any quarter, we potentially lose that budget going forward. You can imagine the consequences of that policy.

The financial systems are a joke. We don't know how to support finance and consequently, they can't support us. What we report is massaged by accounting manually in Excel to a degree that we cannot effectively speak to our own numbers. As a result everyone involved is frustrated, failing, and looking for an out.

No one in leadership is willing to acknowledge the fundamental problems as the culture requires us to be ever-positve in public and to "just make it work", then report success. I believe this is because (1) CEO is a salesman first, leader second, and doesn't want to hear it, and (2) because everyone up the chain would rather claim success and move to a different company, than stay and actually try to fix anything.

Advice to Management

You have utterly failed at building a support organization for your business. IT, Finance, Sourcing, HR, etc are in desperate need of leadership and investment.

The sales mentality is toxic to a support organization. We need to stop covering up our shortcomings and honestly try to improve in the long-term.

You bend to the will of the street by cutting G&A, which is shortsighted. You need drastic improvement in both IT and Finance to produce the revenue recognition, cost allocation, etc, that will help the stock price way more than a percentage point of G&A.

It's time to bring in new leadership to head these support organizations and give them the attention they need to be an asset to the company.

Time is running out before the rotted foundation begins to fall out from under you.

"Middle Management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work. Great people. Some good benefits. Ability to live/work in San Francisco. Company continues to have a strong reputation.

Cons

Extreme growing pains have lead to many overworked/under-valued employees and under-resourced departments. Burn-out is prevalent throughout the company. Although comp packages were historically competitive, they now lag competitively.

Advice to Management

Take time to better evaluate hiring and retention strategies to avoid an even greater loss of institutional knowledge than already suffered and recognize attracting and retaining talent involves both competitive comp and well-resourced teams. Investing in infrastructure, especially with ballooning growth, cannot continue to be put off.