Salesforce - Engineering | Glassdoor

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have a big opportunity to learn

Cons

an option with a downside as well as benefits

Other Employee Reviews for Salesforce

"Great, Good, and Bad things"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Incredible innovation with the product, surrounded by great people, company is extremely successful and will be for a long time

Cons

Communication is an issue, and if something is going to fall through the cracks it will be something that affects employees negatively (won't be customer impacting).

Advice to Management

Work on employee success. Communication. Internal career development programs, and give us a channel to review direct and senior managers AND give feedback directly to execs on a anonymous channel. Execs aren't hearing when employees are treated unfairly and it's killing the great culture we are famous for.

"I have really grown my career and skills at salesforce.com. I love it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have really grown my career and skills at salesforce.com. I have been able to move from individual contributor, to manager, to a full executive. I have learned how to work with customers in a way I never could have at my previous employer, Oracle. I have also been able to grow my hiring skills, and even my firing skills. I have watched the management team take the company to an amazing market position. Best of all, salesforce.com keeps changing. When i started it was just about sales force automation. Then customer service, call centers, and portals. Then they invented Platform As a Service for customers and ISVs to build apps on the salesfoce.com force.com platform. Now we are entering Social Networking with Chatter which has redefined the company as a leader in an important new area. All of this has positively impacted me, and made my career skills more valuable than ever before. I get calls for different positions all the time, and they are increasingly exciting. But, when I compare them again where salesforce.com can take me, well, then I would be a fool to leave.

Cons

There is a huge amount of change all the time. The is the same side of the coin as growth. My priorities change at least once a year, and sometimes more. That has to be expected as we are fastest growing enterprise software company of our size. Of course, I could be at Oracle, and there would be no changes, because Oracle doesn't change---its only acquires. That is not what I want. Also, moving up at salesforce.com means I have to constantly prove myself. Its not about what I did yesterday, which may have been an amazing accomplishment, its about what I am doing today. We have grown so much I think we have pick up some dead wood, and management needs to be stronger about getting rid of the poor performers. We have a ton of stars, and a we have a few black holes. I am sure that happens when you grown from 0-5000 employees in 10 years. But, wow, we have really seen the changes happen. I can only imagine the next 10 years it is going to be spectacular with the new technology.

Advice to Management

Growing from 0 to 5000 employees over 10 years means you have picked up a lot of stars, but some black holes too. Get rid of the dead wood. Clean out the bottom of the barrel more aggresively, and make way for more stars as we head to the next level of excellence.