Sallie Mae - DON'T GO TO COLLEGE OR SHOULD I SAY STAY AWAY DO NOT GET LOANS FROM SALLIE MAE. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae

"DON'T GO TO COLLEGE OR SHOULD I SAY STAY AWAY DO NOT GET LOANS FROM SALLIE MAE."

Current Employee - PCO in Wilkes Barre, PA
Current Employee - PCO in Wilkes Barre, PA

Pros

a paycheck. you work independently

Cons

The company robs the students. I cannot sit there and honestly sell. I have a concious and these kids are starting out with 20,000 in student loans and when they graduate their student loan bill is 40,000 in interest. this is just an example the interest is robbery.

Advice to Management

stop spending so much time going outside for a cidgerette when 5 employees walked,out in 4 days. the mgmt stick together among them selves . It is a call center!!! you can't trust anyone and they will stab you in the back if you turned to fast. I am sure i am leaving next i am just miserable there. TOO MANY CHANGES TOO FAST

Other Employee Reviews for Sallie Mae

1. "Work life balance is good, but pay is not good."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Reston, VA

Pros

There are some very bright people here to learn from and grow. The work like balance is strong with recognition that time with family is an important aspect of job satisfaction.

Cons

The salary is not very competitive. The company is going through some difficult times so some departments have little job security. The future profitability of the federal guarantee loan business is also in question so that makes the long term attractiveness of working at the company questionable.

Advice to Management

To compensate their employees at a much closer rate to their market value. And to communicate with them about their performance and expectations.

2. "If you love low pay and being overworked, Sallie is the one for you!"

Former Employee - Technology Infrastructure in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Technology Infrastructure in Fishers, IN

Pros

Sallie Mae provides a decent benefits package. (Stock options are a joke, but 401k was great) I was lucky enough to work on a great team and had a great direct boss that I reported to. I was able to work with a lot of different types of technology, which can be a good thing for the resume but also can lead to being overworked.

Cons

There is no clear path for bettering yourself as a professional. I was overworked (60+ hour work weeks) and pulled overnight shifts, the on-call was terrible with only appreciation shown from my direct boss. Upper management is blind to a lot of things that go on. Sallie Mae thinks that a 3% yearly raise is great. Promotions are VERY HARD to get. People have no idea how bad it is in there until they get out.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay, do not overwork your employees and increase staff....do not run your staff as thin as it is.