Sally Beauty - always changing, with little to no answers for employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sally Beauty

"always changing, with little to no answers for employees"

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks such as free products, product knowledge (you learn quick) if you work hard they like to promote from within.

Cons

Process of getting promotion is out of control. Training and doing the promoted job without pay for a long time. Loss of communication with higher management and everyone seems burnt out when it really is a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Treat your good employees with good work ethic appropriately. Pay better wages and keep everyone well informed instead of getting upset when things are not done properly.

Other Employee Reviews for Sally Beauty

1. "Terrible pay for the amount of responsibility"

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with cosmetics and beauty supplies. Get a fair discount on merchandise.

Cons

All the responsibility for the fiscal well-being of the store with no real authority to do anything about it. I cannot hire, fire, or discipline employees for unacceptable behaviors or work ethics, determine which products sell well and feature complimentary products to them, determine the inventory needs of my store, or any other essential function necessary for my store to increase its revenue base without consulting some know-nothing higher-up with no in-store knowledge on which to base their in-store decisions.

Advice to Management

It might behoove you to hire women to head the company and men to work at the retail level, rather than the opposite, which is how the company is currently structured. Perhaps then you might have a clue as to how to market to your base demographic.

2. "A good starting point for retail management"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of job education. Good incentives for management. Free products to try, free trips for you and a companion to places like punta cana and mexico.

Cons

Long hours and days. Very small staff and not enough hours given to properly staff store with. A lot of times you must work part of your vacation week unless you have air tickets and are going across the country. For such a large company the salary is not worth the hours you must put in. Always will be on call 24/7 365 so you will always be tied to work and not have much of a social life. Rarely get to use vacation time cause it must be taken a full week at a time.

Advice to Management

They should have guidelines as for what criteria they are looking when promoting from within the company. Would be nice to see what we are expected to be performing to move up. Feeling like you need to know the right people for a promotion seems unfair to those working hard and putting time in. You would keep alot more store managers and sales associates if the pay was more equal to what we are expected to do in return for you. Let us take vacation days instead of making us take a week at a time or pay us for the time we don't get to use cause you make it to difficult to get a full week off.