Salvation Army - Stuck in the legendary past | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army

"Stuck in the legendary past"

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great vision of service to transform lives. Some truly exceptional people.

Cons

Local boards have "advisory" power only; actual authority is with corporate board and at corporate office. Lacks structure and perhaps vision for nimble response to 21st century needs. Lacks detailed ethics guidelines comparable to similar international organizations, with predictable results.

Advice to Management

Unite in a single corporate entity with uniform practices. Stop competing with yourself. Flow the greatest resources to the areas with the greatest need, instead of keeping the greatest resources in the communities that are wealthy enough to raise the most money.

Other Employee Reviews for Salvation Army

1. "There was always something to clean or do , so the shift time went by fast."

Pros

I was always able to complete my work assignments complete, high quality, and on time. I often received complements from the residence about how shinny the floor turned out.

Cons

I worked third shift and this was not easy to get use to.

Advice to Management

They should hire more employees to help with the crews work assignments.

2. "Mixed feelings on the organization..."

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The rehabilitation centers have an inspiring mix of some of the most dedicated members of the church and civilian professionals who believe in the cause.

Cons

The rehabilitation centers also have a disappointing mix of some of the most hypocritical members of the church and inept civilian employees who do more harm to the clients they serve than good.

Advice to Management

There has several times been a push to handle the organization more like a business. Realizing that when people donate money they do it to see a meaningful social return on that investment. There have also been several times when this new philosophy was abandoned after a short time. I think it can be done, and the organization would be so much more effective and respected for it.