Sam's Club - I have moved up from cashier to COS Checkout Supervisor in 5 months, but I get paid less than some cashiers...wth? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

"I have moved up from cashier to COS Checkout Supervisor in 5 months, but I get paid less than some cashiers...wth?"

Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in College Station, TX
Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in College Station, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good company with a stable job security. It is an indoor job with lots of room to move around. I like the health benefits, and the people for the most part.

Cons

They pay you a rate that is based on how long you have been there, rather than what you are actually doing. A cashier that has a pay grade 3 who has been there for 2 years can make 10 bucks an hour, yet a checkout supervisor who has been there for 5 months can make less than that. That makes no sense. The boss makes less than a cashier, yet he tell him/her what to do and is his BOSS! Crazy!

Advice to Management

Get the pay rate the person deserves for the position he is working, and stop paying employees just based on how long they have worked there. The base pay needs to be higher for certain positions.

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

1. "They've treated me very well"

Current Employee - Electronics Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Electronics Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great
    Pay is great compared to the rest of the retail world
    It's the first job where I can say I get along with almost all of my fellow associates
    I get admired for effort in the work I perform

Cons

Communication is a huge problem, some managers lack social skills and need to rely on other forms of communication besides email.
    MNS isn't going to work in the member's or associates favor, it's going to create poor moral
    Rewarding promotions to MIT for those who don't earn it in my book, otherwise rewarding to those who don't strive or work very hard at there job
    We call these people manager's pets
    Seems now they are trying to turn there backs on associates who put effort into there work instead of others who are lazy, which are the individuals who get MIT TL, however not all TL at my club are lazy and put out just as much effort in the work as I do.
    Some managers like to make their own policies, which further degrades the work environment

Advice to Management

Better communication is a must. Might want to reconsider the choice of creating MNS
    Look more at your hardworking associates and give them opportunities instead of rewarding those who don't perform to standards

2. "Fun environment, nice people, low compensation"

Former Employee - Cashier in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, busy, upbeat environment. Hard work is rewarded, great team to work with, all in all scheduling is very flexible.

Cons

Long hours of standing on your feet, moderate to heavy lifting, must have strength to work set up. Compensation is low, but benefits are okay overall.

Advice to Management

more staff needed for busy weekend hours