Sam's Club - Great company founded on excellent principles with good family-work balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

"Great company founded on excellent principles with good family-work balance"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lynchburg, VA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay
Work-family balance
Shorter overall workdays compared to many retailers
Encourages getting to know members

Cons

I do not have any complaints about my job or the company. We are given opportunities daily to express our concerns to management to be addressed timely.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your associates and they will continue to support you!

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

1. "Good Theory, Bad Practice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well, good opportunity to move up, flexible hours, use for multiple skill-sets

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and clubs, lack of engagement between management and associates, high expectations with less resources

Advice to Management

Go back to basics. Spend quality times in the clubs and really listen to the concerns of your associates. Most like the company but do not like the direction it is heading. Really question if this is the kind of company Sam Walton would have wanted.

2. "Just a JOB"

Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, great associates, decent pay for the work being done, free membership, work around schedule, profit sharing, employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

Profit sharing tends to be rare, management struggles due to the fact that they do not get support from the district/regional team, which tends to be passed down to the associates, "skeleton crews" is an often heard comment. Some of the upper management do not understand payroll, which can lead to low employee engagement. Tons of merchandising required, which is fine, but often becomes pointless as it moves the next day. Store technology is a huge opportunity... If this were any other company (Not a walmart corp) they would be following circuit city, radio shack, and best buy. Customer service is not a priority, which didnt bug me until I worked for another company and saw the difference.

Advice to Management

We know it is a tough position at times and that you do not get much support from your district staff, but remember not to take frustrations out on employees. A main goal should be employee development.