Sam's Club - Just a Number | Glassdoor

"Just a Number"

Current Employee - General Manager in Bentonville, AR
Current Employee - General Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people who work for the organization and as a manager you have the opportunity to positively impact peoples lives.

Cons

The internet is filled with negative things to say about Wal-Mart / Sam's Club, unfortunately too many of them are true. The organization has lost it's way and the principles upon which Sam Walton founded the company. They still exist in slogans, banners and corporate rhetoric but not in practice. The organization is run by the lawyers trying to protect it and not leaders interested in taking care of their people. Sam Walton was a remarkable leader and visionary, unfortunately the company now lacks both.

Advice to Management

Actually take care of your people as if they matter to the business. The rhetoric is transparent and discontent continues to build within your organization.

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

1. "Great company founded on excellent principles with good family-work balance"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Work-family balance
    Shorter overall workdays compared to many retailers
    Encourages getting to know members

Cons

I do not have any complaints about my job or the company. We are given opportunities daily to express our concerns to management to be addressed timely.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your associates and they will continue to support you!

2. "Good Theory, Bad Practice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well, good opportunity to move up, flexible hours, use for multiple skill-sets

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and clubs, lack of engagement between management and associates, high expectations with less resources

Advice to Management

Go back to basics. Spend quality times in the clubs and really listen to the concerns of your associates. Most like the company but do not like the direction it is heading. Really question if this is the kind of company Sam Walton would have wanted.