Sam's Club - My 12 years of experience with SAMs have been rewarding, but recent changes have me considering a career change | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

"My 12 years of experience with SAMs have been rewarding, but recent changes have me considering a career change"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Fayetteville, AR
Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for this company is that they hire from within. There really is no limit to how far you want to go, they'll support you all the way. If you have talent and you're passionate about your work, you can go from pushing carts at $8-$10/hr to being an assistant manager, making $44k a year, in as little as two years. I personally know a market manager that started with the company as a demo boy.

Cons

One of the major downsides to working at sams is that they seem to be losing touch with the hourly workforce. The company is constantly trying to cut costs so that we can offer the absolute best price to our members. In doing so, however, the morale of our associates, particularly those with more than a couple years of experience, is negatively affected. Last year, the company rolled out a computerized scheduling system that scheduled associates based on need as determined by a projected sales figure. The idea was sound but the reduced staffing continues to be the main source of undue stress for both the customer and associate. If you're planning on a career with the company, you should know the health insurance plans are expensive and unaffordable for an hourly associate that needs to see a doctor regularly or one who needs to cover the medical needs of their family. In the event of a major medical emergency, however, insurance will cover 100% of expenses once you meet your out-of-pocket maximum.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management would be to bring back the option for hourly associates to buy Walmart stock through the company matched 401k plan, make the current medical insurance plans a reason to stay with the company, continue to develop better managers, and to do a better job at keeping the talent from leaving.

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

"Good Part Time job"

Current Employee - Lot Attendant in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Lot Attendant in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Part time position, flexible hours but expect to work all or parer of a weekend.
    Good people for the most part, do the job, be polite and you will get noticed and moved to a better position.

Cons

Not everyone wants to work, some folks should be removed. Pay is not the best but there are far worse.

Advice to Management

Stop the constant cost cutting, us the employees to maintain the club. Culture and values are not what is going on today.

"Cart Pusher"

Former Employee - Cart Pusher in Niagara, WI
    Former Employee - Cart Pusher in Niagara, WI

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, good break, nice break room

Cons

Not enough people to push carts

Advice to Management

People can only push so many carts so fast