Sam's Club - My 12 years of experience with SAMs have been rewarding, but recent changes have me considering a career change | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

"My 12 years of experience with SAMs have been rewarding, but recent changes have me considering a career change"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Fayetteville, AR
Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for this company is that they hire from within. There really is no limit to how far you want to go, they'll support you all the way. If you have talent and you're passionate about your work, you can go from pushing carts at $8-$10/hr to being an assistant manager, making $44k a year, in as little as two years. I personally know a market manager that started with the company as a demo boy.

Cons

One of the major downsides to working at sams is that they seem to be losing touch with the hourly workforce. The company is constantly trying to cut costs so that we can offer the absolute best price to our members. In doing so, however, the morale of our associates, particularly those with more than a couple years of experience, is negatively affected. Last year, the company rolled out a computerized scheduling system that scheduled associates based on need as determined by a projected sales figure. The idea was sound but the reduced staffing continues to be the main source of undue stress for both the customer and associate. If you're planning on a career with the company, you should know the health insurance plans are expensive and unaffordable for an hourly associate that needs to see a doctor regularly or one who needs to cover the medical needs of their family. In the event of a major medical emergency, however, insurance will cover 100% of expenses once you meet your out-of-pocket maximum.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management would be to bring back the option for hourly associates to buy Walmart stock through the company matched 401k plan, make the current medical insurance plans a reason to stay with the company, continue to develop better managers, and to do a better job at keeping the talent from leaving.

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

1. "Easy to move up"

Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy to move up great people to work with

Cons

management is always pushing plus and credit

"Ready to quit after one month."

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and other staff are really nice. The pay is okay. Talking to some of the members is actually fun. You get breaks for every 3-5 hours you work.

Cons

As a cashier, you are expected to sell sell sell plus memberships and credits. To the point where if you don't talk to EVERYONE who comes through your line about plus, you get written up and your job is on the line. After only three weeks of working here (with almost no formal training whatsoever), I was taken in to my manager's office and my job was threatened because I wasn't selling enough plusses. "You're backing down too easily. Not being aggressive enough." It was ridiculous. And then the next day, they had me wearing a hot, sweaty prison costume while I worked to promote plus memberships, and the only way to take it off was to sell one, under the premise of "having fun" with it. Not fun: humiliating, condescending and I'm not even sure it's legal.

There are a lot of different variety members who shop here. Be prepared to deal with some angry, unfriendly people. Lots of heavy lifting, but that's part of the job description. Make sure you're good at multitasking, because if you're not talking about plus and doing your job at the same time, you get in trouble (and be prepared for many people to be unresponsive and unfriendly when you talk to them about plus, but I don't blame them). Plus, the management only recognizes the cashiers who are good at selling memberships and credits. That's the only way to move up in the business.

If you are a nice person with morals that you can't put aside for work, find another job, because they're all brainwashed there. It's nothing but profits, profits, profits.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. The whole business is screwed up. Customer service doesn't even seem to matter at Sam's. And associates and employees matter too, not just management. Don't come around every ten seconds asking if we "got anything yet." Yes, I realize that you all need to impress your bosses too, but pressuring us and putting our jobs on the line as a way to get us to work harder does not work. Because of you, I dread going to work, and am now in the market for a new job.