Sam's Club - Marketing Coordinator | Glassdoor

"Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator
Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not stuck in the office all day. As full time hourly employee I get benefits for a reasonable rate. Free Sam's Club Membership which we use all the time.

Cons

For the amount of pressure I am under to perform and produce - under $12 per hour is not nearly enough pay. Not really any opportunity to move up with decent pay unless you are in salaried management position.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself if you would give 110% for $10 per hour . . .
As an aside - My store manager likes to look in our personel files and ask questions about information in there - not sure it's even legal to just look for the hell of it.

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

"Not fun."

I worked at Sam's Club full-time

Pros

Pay is great with bonuses and benefits.

Cons

Little to no training for higher positions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Their your greatest asset.

"Ready to quit after one month."

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and other staff are really nice. The pay is okay. Talking to some of the members is actually fun. You get breaks for every 3-5 hours you work.

Cons

As a cashier, you are expected to sell sell sell plus memberships and credits. To the point where if you don't talk to EVERYONE who comes through your line about plus, you get written up and your job is on the line. After only three weeks of working here (with almost no formal training whatsoever), I was taken in to my manager's office and my job was threatened because I wasn't selling enough plusses. "You're backing down too easily. Not being aggressive enough." It was ridiculous. And then the next day, they had me wearing a hot, sweaty prison costume while I worked to promote plus memberships, and the only way to take it off was to sell one, under the premise of "having fun" with it. Not fun: humiliating, condescending and I'm not even sure it's legal.

There are a lot of different variety members who shop here. Be prepared to deal with some angry, unfriendly people. Lots of heavy lifting, but that's part of the job description. Make sure you're good at multitasking, because if you're not talking about plus and doing your job at the same time, you get in trouble (and be prepared for many people to be unresponsive and unfriendly when you talk to them about plus, but I don't blame them). Plus, the management only recognizes the cashiers who are good at selling memberships and credits. That's the only way to move up in the business.

If you are a nice person with morals that you can't put aside for work, find another job, because they're all brainwashed there. It's nothing but profits, profits, profits.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. The whole business is screwed up. Customer service doesn't even seem to matter at Sam's. And associates and employees matter too, not just management. Don't come around every ten seconds asking if we "got anything yet." Yes, I realize that you all need to impress your bosses too, but pressuring us and putting our jobs on the line as a way to get us to work harder does not work. Because of you, I dread going to work, and am now in the market for a new job.