Sam's Club - Great Growth Oppurtunity | Glassdoor

"Great Growth Oppurtunity"

Current Employee - Regional Senior Membership Manager in Frederick, MD
Current Employee - Regional Senior Membership Manager in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*Quick upward Movement
*Large Company Job Security

Cons

*Tons of relocation required
*Pay is not actually based on performance

Advice to Management

*evaluate based on progress
*evaluate based on comparable areas

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

1. "Getting worse by the day"

Current Employee - Grocery Sales Associate in Dickson City, PA
    Current Employee - Grocery Sales Associate in Dickson City, PA

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, half-way decent management (at least in my local store), minor opportunities to advance within the store, flexible hours (aside weekends, which you can kiss goodbye to), starting pay above minimum wage, yearly bonus based on profit

Cons

Where do I start...

Over the last few months, this company has a severe turn for the worse. Full-time positions are disappearing and becoming non-existent unless you become a team-lead or manager. I have been with the company over 3 years, received positive feedback, and I still cannot get full-time work. I also truly believe workers aren't being compensated enough for all the work that they do (especially cashiers/COS's, they have it the worst!).

Thanks to the new computer-based schedule generator, your hours are completely unpredictable and all over the place (except for weekends, those are basically guaranteed),

In our store, we also have a LOT of difficulty with our overnight staff. Forklift drivers are not being careful enough with our stock, which results in LOTS of damages and unattractive merchandise (the company has such a strong emphasis on profit, maybe we should preserve the stock we do have?). Lots of hot items aren't stocked, even if we have plenty on-hand, which results in us, the floor partners, making up for the difference during our already-packed schedule during the day.

Another major area of concern is a lack of employees to handle all the work. It isn't uncommon to walk in the doors at 4-5pm, only to find that NO ONE has worked your section all day, and you have to "magically" make the section perfect by 8:30. This results in lots of negative feedback from managers.

Finally, Plus Memberships/Credits are OUT OF CONTROL. I may only be a floor partner, but you can feel the pressure of those sales throughout the day, whether its over the radio, or while you're running register because they didn't call in enough cashiers (this goes back to under-staffing).

Level calls (calls for register trained associates to come run to help lower lines) are a problem all of their own. It's one thing to have a call here and there for random rushes. But it's a huge problem when we spend 25-50% of our shift just running the tills. How can we get our own work done when we're stuck doing someone else's job all day?

Advice to Management

Bring back full-time, get more appropriate coverage on the sales-floor and front-end. Work together more effectively. And stop pushing plus memberships and credits so much. After all, if a member is asked about them EVERY TIME they come in the store, they may get annoyed to the point where they just stop shopping there because they don't want to hear it.

2. "in sense, its a good place to work for part timer"

Former Employee - Electronics Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Electronics Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Manager to associate interaction,
    Learn a lot about the retail industry.
    Learn about sales pretty quickly.

Cons

No full-time at all unless you're a team lead or manager class.
    Doesn't give extra discount to produce anymore.
    not enough associate to cover the area.

Advice to Management

i know money is really tight but it would be nice to look down and see the people who help make it happen and reward them accordingly