Sam's Club - A good place to get some experience, or start to build a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

"A good place to get some experience, or start to build a career"

Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS
Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to advance if you're willing to work hard and go the extra mile. A great place to learn some new skills and for a student it's a perfect place to take on some responsibility and gain some real world experience while helping pay your way through school.

Cons

Frequently the needs of associates on the store level are ignored by Market, Regional, and other corporate Management in favor of maximizing profitability and decreasing cost, so they can look good to their own bosses. Many stores also have "blockers" - long time associates who do a bare minimum, and get by on the hard work of others' looking to advance in their careers, but hold back up and coming associates from getting into positions of leadership.

Advice to Management

Market and Regional management need to avoid micromanaging at the store level, and give stores the support and staffing they need to take care of members. The most frequent complaints about Sam's in general are:
1) There are always long lines.... as compared to Costco as a result of the so-called "Member Needs Scheduler." This could be taken care of by NOT trying to forecast sales so precisely, and schedule literally the bare minimum necessary.
2) The associates aren't always the friendliest. This can easily be helped by giving store level management the ability to schedule a more consistent staffing plan, which reduces the frequency of associates trying to run in three directions at once and handle three requests simultaneously.
3) Finally, Sam's needs to differentiate itself from Wal-Mart. Too much of late, members are remarking that they'd rather shop at Wal-Mart where they can get many of the same products at a similar price. Roz has been doing a good job of trying to focus on high quality fresh products, and bringing the focus back to our business members, but too much has been made of trying to make the "everyday shopper" profitable with the Plus membership.

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

1. "worked at Sam's club for 12 years"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

some good people to work with

Cons

too many new people and team leads standing around while the long term employees do all the work. Constantly being asked to open my availability or I will not get your hours, I had a set schedule for years, why has this become an issue in the last few years. I didn't go into management because I didn't want to work the odd hours, my family is my highest priority but now they keep trying to force me into working the odd hours. The people not doing anything are getting the good hours special treatment . Hours should be seat not look this day come in and it has changed after driving 20 min to work.

Advice to Management

stop holding the team leads hands, if they have not figured it out by now there never going to get it .

2. "Great!!"

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They treat me with respect, managers don't constantly nitpick you like some other jobs.
    They train you and let you do the job.

Cons

Standing on concrete whole shift.

Advice to Management

When you see a good employee it doesn't hurt to say so.