Sam's Club - Over night stocker | Glassdoor

"Over night stocker"

Current Employee - Over Night Stocker in El Paso, TX
Current Employee - Over Night Stocker in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm moving to macallen and I like working night

Cons

That I am moving to macallen

Advice to Management

Kept all management informed

Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club

"Terrible management, favoritism, little room to advance past team lead."

Former Employee - Membership Champion
    Former Employee - Membership Champion

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good at first as a cashier, but after being promoted, it's usually only a 20 cent raise and a ton more responsibility and stress. Meeting great people, job experience

Cons

Low pay for higher positions. Terrible, sporadic hours. May close at night, staying until ten to get everything done then be back in at 630. A lot of black out times when time can't be requested off. Attendance policy is only applied to certain employees and not to others. One small mistake leads to a "coaching" that locks you in the same position with no raise for a year. I've seen wonderful associates that would be much better for the company in higher positions, but because a manager that doesn't like them coaches them for a small offense that others do every day, they are stuck. With no chance to move up because of one coaching, they often quit to look for something better. Chances of working your way up to management are minuscule. Many employees that have been there ten plus years in the same position. I was promoted quickly twice in the first year, but it was clear there was no way I could go any further in that store. The same managers had been there for years so there was no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

When your supervisors are enforcing a policy with members, don't come up and apologize to the member and then give them a gift card making it look like your associates are in the wrong for enforcing store policy. This leads to way too many people taking advantage. Back up your team! Also, don't act like you are so much better than the associates you work with. Some have been there for ten to twenty years, so if you came in with a degree straight into management, never having worked there, don't try to come in acting like you know how to run the place. Listen to your associates. They are the ones interacting with members every day. By pushing your members several times during their trip to upgrade or sign up for credit, you are making them dread shopping with you because they are bombarded with sales tactics every single time. As member champ, I heard many members say they were going to our competition and canceling their memberships because they are hassled when they come in by the girl at the kiosk, again at the membership desk if they need anything there, again for credit while they are shopping and yet again for upgrades or credit when they are checking out. Focus on great customer service, and maybe make sure the cashiers can explain the benefits very well and know when to leave people alone and just help them get checked out quickly. Don't encourage associates to not take no for an answer, or at the desk when signing them up, we are trained to take objections as a need for more information and to keep pushing. I have had potential members leave because of pushy sales tactics. Explain the benefits then let them decide which is best for their family. Not everyone needs the plus membership! Many members will not get their money's worth when they live a few hours away and shop only a couple times a year. For corporate, make the discounts better for plus members!! Regular members now get great discounts too and the list of discounts for plus are very few items and most of it members say are things they don't really buy. Why would they spend $100 when they can get discounts anyway? The other benefits are pretty much a joke. The only good one is early hours. Optical needs a much better discount. Members can go to Walmart, owned by the same company! And get them cheaper than with the plus discount of $40 off two pairs.

2. "It was very positive"

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours,wonderful staff, great customers

Cons

The store management seemed to have a different agenda as the pharmacy did.