Samsung Austin Semiconductor - Samsung: Terrible Morale/No Work-Life Balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

"Samsung: Terrible Morale/No Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing. We all sympathize for each other because Samsung sucks. Give it some time and you'll see what I'm saying.

Cons

Computer systems and SOPs are buggy and time consuming to work-around and/or fix. Engineers end up spending most of their time on issues like this and not on real engineering. They eventually quit when they realize that the longer they stay at Samsung the less marketable they become. There is a huge communication gap between the engineers that work on the front line and management. Most trainers have a sink or swim mentality especially when there is no time for training which is most of the time during ramp ups. My advice: DO NOT WORK IN UNIT PARTS. Work for YE, EHS, QA or Facilities or better yet work for a BETTER RATED COMPANY

Advice to Management

TRs: Be realistic and think long-term. Don't just give your employees work that is impossible to accomplish and then tell them they can do it in "10 minutes."

Stop beating down on your engineers. We are smart hardworking people with engineering degrees that can often walk right out the door. That's what I did.

Senior Management: Make training and fixing the bugs a priority. Don't just push for trainees to sign tasks off by deadlines. Push the trainers to train in a quality way!!! Push for a work balance. It's worth it in the end. This way you won't lose your experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

"No week-ends"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good at listening to techs on the floor regarding maintenance needs.

Cons

Night time superintendent's primary job is to walk the fab looking for procedural violations, if your working nights don't expect to have too many week-ends as most of them will be filled with useless mandatory training programs. Be prepared to work long fab hours on 12-hour shifts (1 hour lunch break only).

Advice to Management

Need to improve work-life balance, especially for night shift. Need to have training available for night shift employees, I'm tired of coming in on my days off.

"A place where careers go to die"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are very competitive. Bonuses are thrown at employees pretty much every quarter, regardless of the company's performance. If you like free t-shirts, this place will fill up your dresser in no time flat.
    The engineers and technicians that you work with are good people who just want to make the best of a bad situation. Definitely some of the most patient people I've ever met in my life.
    You'll also develop a profound appreciation for any job you get after working here.

Cons

If you're looking for a career that will let you grow technically and progress as a professional, this is not the place for you. Training here is a joke, since it isn't written by qualified experts on a topic, but by the person who last violated the rules. As a result you end up with nothing more a bunch of poorly thrown together PowerPoint presentations with 5-10 poorly worded questions about how you better not screw up or it'll really hurt. Vendor and device training are impossible to come by. If you don't spend countless hours of your own time outside of work studying up and keeping your knowledge up to date with current technology trends, you'll be out of touch in no time.
    "Abusive" is the word that comes to mind when I want to describe the company culture. You will never be treated as anything more than a tool by which work gets done. Thanks and positivity must have been beaten out of management during their leadership training. The only thing you'll ever hear from management is how disappointing you are and how no one can seem to do anything right.
    In addition, every employee, regardless of tenure or position, is treated like some criminal who can't be trusted for a second. You'll have to pass at least 3 security guards and badge in at least 3 more times before you can even sit down in the morning. Even after all of this, don't even think about being to use your computer to get your job done, because the security software installed on all computers prevents you from doing just about anything other than log in.
    Despite the fact that this company is a technology giant, you'll feel like you're stuck in the 1980's with all the outdated computers and software you'll use. Counter-intuitive is the key word to use when describing all of their proprietary systems - just think about what would make sense and they do the exact opposite.

Advice to Management

Get middle management in line and improve communication. Whatever sense of direction the company may have (if any) is completely lost before it gets to the people doing the work. Every supervisor has their own different expectations and none of them are in sync. The situation will never improve until the company as a whole begins to move as a unified force that has clear expectations and directives.
    Start to recognize that your employees are valuable, talented people and treat them that way. Beating people for 3 months straight then giving them some free stuff will not make them like their job. Sit down with the engineers and technicians and get their honest opinions about how to improve the way work gets done - there are a lot of great ideas and innovations to be had, but creativity is being stifled due to all of the wasted time spent on the current inefficient, oppressive set up.