Samsung Austin Semiconductor - Disappointed | Glassdoor

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work hours for hourly workers, Great Coworkers

Cons

This place in one word is a disappointment. When you start they feed you a lot of positive BS that never turns around. The Benefits are not great but, OK. And for being a mutliBILLION dollar company work life sucks.

Advice to Management

Pay the people who mean the most (Technicians) more than what they are getting paid.

Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

"Your job satisfaction will vary depending on which department you work in"

Current Employee - Senior Eng in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Eng in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, great benefits, quarterly bonuses, good pay, constantly changing (which can be good and bad!), senior management is working to change the previously abusive culture

Cons

constantly changing, Korea always seems to use the Christmas season to roll out new fabs/technology, work/life balance for most engineering positions is nonexsistant, TR position is impossible

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for the culture changes! Most of us come to work to support our families but when we are expected to be 24x7 call those same families puch for us to find another place to work.

"Workplace Harassment"

Former Employee - Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Fast pace. Very interesting technology. Educated, talented, smart workforce.

Cons

The Korean manager in our department told the group at least 1x/week how much he did not like Americans. We were encouraged to attend department team building dinners off-site where alcohol was served, some employees felt pressured to drink. The work environment is extremely competitive and political, with an established hierarch and pecking order that you better not question or your career will be in jeopardy. Trust and morale is low. The goals are very aggressive and the pace is fast, so people work a lot of hours and burn out is perpetuated.
    1 year at Samsung = 7 dog years in regards to your personal aging and well being. The company prefers young, beautiful, physically fit employees, so the staff is fairly junior. Working at Samsung requires strong emotional intelligence, a thick skin, and a lot of cross cultural competence. In some departments, new ideas and problem solving skills are not valued. A colleague once told me that he felt like he should just check his brain at the door before entering the building.

Advice to Management

Support your staff in having work - life balance.