Samsung Research America - Feel the Samsung magic, get transformed, euphoric ... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Research America

"Feel the Samsung magic, get transformed, euphoric ..."

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with the emerging technologies that are yet to hit US market !

Cons

Seoul, HQ managed operations as a cost center

Advice to Management

?

Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Research America

"Confusing, Dysfunctional Mess"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The one upside to working at Samsung is they throw money around like its nothing. I am well compensated and have a nice paycheck. Of course, the downside to throwing money around is that you'll travel back and forth to Korea without any real agendas or rhyme or reason. Lots of travel, money wasted on hotels & arrangements, while projects are no better off for any of it. Everyone at Samsung is adverse to making any sort of decision, so things never move forward until another company does it first.

Cons

Without question, the worst company I have ever worked for in my 15-year career. The amount of incompetence in a company of this scale is staggering. While our office in the US was setup to incubate ideas and work autonomously, everything still goes through HQ - where design concepts are butchered, stolen outright, or disappear into the abyss of mismanagement.

To anybody considering a job with Samsung in the US, steer clear of this debacle. Every interaction with the company is painful. Just scheduling time off is a complicated process that involves launching a virtual windows environment to access an intranet portal that only works with IE8, which is hidden under layers and layers of tabs within tabs. Just a nightmare getting even the simplest of things done.

I joined Samsung because I thought I'd be working on cool products and I'd be able to have some influence. What I've experienced is a cluster-**** of a poorly structured company without direction or a clear vision. It's amazing how waiting until the last minute to do something, combined with outspending any other company on the planet to market products, Samsung has been able to establish itself as a major player in the industry. It's all a joke and I fell for it.

Advice to Management

Trust the professionals you've hired to do the work they've been hired to do.

2. "Good Benefit"

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance and cafeteria are great.

Cons

All work would be handled by HQ