Samsung Semiconductor - Only Asians need apply if you look for growth potential and promotions | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Semiconductor

"Only Asians need apply if you look for growth potential and promotions"

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Samsung Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Cost of Benefits is better than any company I have seen. 401K is standard matching. 50% subsidized Cafeteria and workout Center (Gym) is onsite

Cons

Only Asians get promoted - even if they are not qualified. Caucasian Americans are rarely looked at for promotions.
Their annual review process is terrible - it is based on a 1 to 5 scale (1 the best and 5 the worst). If a manager gives someone a 1 in their group then they must give another person a 5 ~ even if they are a well performing employee. If a manager submits an employee for a 2 and a director doesnt like it - they will reject it and tell the manager to reduce it to a 3 or 4. Its not fair and not right.
They expect employees to be available for work 24/7 - even on holidays. There are daily calls with Korea late into the night. The employees in Korea do not adjust their schedule to ours - it is us who must be available for them.
I have seen a lot of unethical practices over the many years.
very...very....very tough place to work if you are looking for fairness and GWP.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Evaluate them as they truly are.
Treat everyone faily and with respect. Promote individuals who truly deserve it.

Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Semiconductor

"A work place worst ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Samsung Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Brand name before joining this company. No any other good things about it since working there

Cons

Terrible bully management do not have project management and treat employees very unfair except you have personal relationship with the Sr. Director there. Performance review employees blindly without knowing what employees have done. Management do not have communications to employees about sharing schedules, very unclear about priorities, planning or proper work resource estimates.

Advice to Management

Do your job and provide employees project or assignments with proper resource estimates. Be open and fair review your employees's work and performance. If you are not knowledgable enough knowing what job needs what time efforts as expected, please step down and let employees have a peaceful pleasant work life.

"Lovely workplace with great people"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Samsung Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Whenever I come to my office, I can feel like visiting my friend's house. The management takes an effort to make the workplace friendly. All colleagues listen carefully to my story and have a warm communication with me. I love my colleagues and happy to work with them.

Cons

Sometimes, it looks like strong competition in the company, but this is not only for our company.