San Antonio ZOO - Inapropriate Work Load and Not Enough Staff | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for San Antonio ZOO

"Inapropriate Work Load and Not Enough Staff"

Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The animals of course! Its great to learn about creatures you have never heard of before. My favorite appearance was learning training techniques through positive reinforcement. These techniques are useful in your everyday life when dealing with people or children. I loved the babies born and monitoring their growth.

Cons

Upper Management. They did not listen to the keepers advice. Those of us who worked closely with the animals day in & day out. It was common to put our lives and the animals live at risk, There have been avoidable deaths and sexual harassment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take care of the people who work for them. It is one of the lowest paying zoos in the nation.

Other Employee Reviews for San Antonio ZOO

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at San Antonio ZOO as an intern

Pros

Lots of interaction with animals, great experience,

Cons

The heat, wish there were more opportunities to assist veterinary procedures

2. "Stay away from merchandise"

Former Employee - Lead
    Former Employee - Lead

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time

Pros

Great clerks, good team and the events are something enjoyable for the employees, the animals every day, good benefits

Cons

Bad pay, awful management, excruciating hours and physical labor, illegal tactics, all year round and is very life consuming

Advice to Management

All upper management should be let go. They are all money hungry sea world employees who couldn't give a single care about the amazing staff they have. These clerks are working for no money, they have leads killing themselves mentally to be the best they can and yet there is a lack of reward and a dictatorship in which upper management pushes leads to force employees to stay later and work for different departments. You're gonna work over 13 hours with little to no break, and all your managers do are sit on their butts and do nothing they are completely power hungry and will continue to pull people from the outside who have no idea what they're doing.