San Francisco State - Good experience, if you work for the right faculty. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for San Francisco State

"Good experience, if you work for the right faculty."

I have been working at San Francisco State part-time

Pros

Most professors appreciate your strengths and know how to best put them to use, especially if you are an experienced professional. Also understanding of your course work/committments.

Cons

Compensation is not commensurate with experience.

Other Employee Reviews for San Francisco State

1. "Laboratory Assistant"

Former Employee - Laboratory Assistant
    Former Employee - Laboratory Assistant

I worked at San Francisco State (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly faculty and there is always something to do.to learn and keep busy.

Cons

The laboratories can be better organized given time and proper planning and the equipment used by the students are out of date.

"Meh"

I worked at San Francisco State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the time, the salary was decent, even by SF standards. The benefits were great for my needs, and included being able to take classes for dirt-cheap. Family members could also take advantage of the cheap education. There were some really great people, staff and faculty. Most of the faculty were very respectful of staff and our importance to the function of the department. I was able to hire some brilliant and efficient students. The Dean's assistant's assistant was very organized and friendly. The union really tries to get things done. The president's year-end party was awesome. I looked forward to it every year. Then the budget cuts made it okay. I think they don't even have it now.

Cons

Too much disorganization, and people who had the power to fix it had been there too long, were buried so deep, they had given up. Every little thing took far more effort than it should have. I was never trained for my job, and I had a LOT to do. The staff were frustrated and many of those who had been there over a decade were bitter and miserable to work with. Students, lecturers, teaching assistants usually got their first paycheck of the term late, sometimes over a month late. I was there at the end of the furloughs. By the time I was able to quit, I had more responsibilities and a few thousand dollars less pay than I had started with. Others had it worse!

Advice to Management

There has been some reorganization and I hear things are better. To improve even more: Train your staff! The upper management needs to be more transparent - part of the bitterness is people feeling helpless. I hope there have been a lot of hires since I left, because the furloughs cut too deep.