Sandia National Laboratories - Great place to work! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Albuquerque, NM
Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mentors, great work environment, top notch scientists. Able to work with many projects to continue to interests in various areas.

Cons

I have no cons about working at Sandia National Laboratories. I would recommend this job to any scientist inexperienced or experienced.

Other Employee Reviews for Sandia National Laboratories

1. "IH Grad Intern"

Former Intern - IH Grad Intern in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Intern - IH Grad Intern in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of IHs to help you learn

Cons

Work pace could be faster

"Sandia was disappointing but still a pretty good place to work."

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

Job security is the #1 pro of working at Sandia. Work/life balance is possible. In addition, the technical capabilities of Sandia are incredible as they have a lot of state of the art equipment combined with some of the brightest people you'll ever meet. The educational benefits are very good as well. The pay is good, but not that great when compared to the cost of living in the areas that Sandia is located.

Cons

1) Company mentality: There is a prevalent "that is what we've always done" mentality, even if "what we've always done" has repeatedly caused problems. There is also very little incentive to go against this mentality to try and improve things because it will likely not help your performance review anyway (see #2). In fact, trying to improve things can potentially negatively impact your performance review because improving something means it wasn't done the best way to begin with. This potentially requires someone, likely someone with more senior standing who has more pull in the decision making and/or influence on management, to in some respects admit that they did not make the best decision possible to begin with. Thus, improvement is almost non-existent.

2) Performance Review Process: The performance review process, whether it be the old version or Totalcomp (the recently deployed performance management system), was rather bizarre. I found that myself and others would do excellent work and go above and beyond what management asked of us, only to be told we were 'average' at our performance reviews. In some cases, even 'below average' thanks to Totalcomp which requires a certain percentage of the population receive the lowest acceptable rating. This was very discouraging as it made employees feel like they were going nowhere, and reinforces the mentality that there is no reason to work hard as it won't impact your performance review, and thus your promotion possibility (see #3), anyway.

3) Raises/Promotions: Raises are relatively low, and salaries are sometimes frozen due to federal budget circumstances. There is very little difference raise-wise between people who work really hard and people who don't, which compounds the lack of motivation to work hard. Promotions can seem rather arbitrary and I don't feel that management was very honest about what was necessary to get a promotion, so in some respects you can feel completely helpless.

4) Salary Compression: People that come in at least a few years after you will likely make more money than you. My advice to new employees is to stay at least 3 years to get vested in your 401(k), but not more than 5 years if you don't get promoted unless you have personal reasons for staying in the area.

5) Highly Political Culture.

6) Living in Albuquerque: While I can't speak for any of the other sites, Albuquerque has a lot of room for improvement. There is a relatively high cost of living, high crime, bad school systems, and a somewhat rude culture. There doesn't seem to be much sense of community and by no means would I consider it a family friendly environment.

Advice to Management

1) Be honest and up front about what is necessary to advance.
    2) Put your neck out there and try to do the best thing for everyone, even if it is not the popular thing or what your boss wants to hear.
    3) Have integrity.