Sandia National Laboratories - Excellent | Glassdoor

"Excellent"

Current Employee - PMTS in Albuquerque, NM
Current Employee - PMTS in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great sense of value and purpose. Tremendous amount of respect and independence. Great work life balance. Great benefits and salaries. Great training programs.

Cons

In some ways, Albuquerque. Some bureaucracy and politics. Congressional budget fluctuations can cause disturbances. Slow degradation of benefits will hurt eventually. Reward system is improving but upward mobility is still slow mostly due to low turnover and limited budgets.

Advice to Management

Downsize the recent influx of financial analysts.

Other Employee Reviews for Sandia National Laboratories

"Awful company"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single thing. I am quitting soon and going back to academia.

Cons

1. There is no money for R & D
    2. If you have a PhD you will be treated without the respect earned by your degree
    3. There are "technical staff" who couldn't balance an equation if their life depended on it
    4. The lab is full of lazy staff members
    5. FFRDCs are losing funding and as a Sandian you cannot compete for money which is handed out to universities
    6. if you are a PI, then some idiot manager will be placed in charge of your budget and will spend all the money on the "deadweight"
    7. There is no focus on sound scientific research and development
    8. Focus is on nuclear weapons and nothing else matters
    9. No latitude for creativity
    10. 90% of the technical staff is over the age of 50
    11. Employees will tell government agencies anything they want to hear
    12. Many people here do not understand the scientific method (engineer culture) or the value of hypothesis testing
    13. Poor culture towards women, minorities, and LGBT (I am a white male)
    14. Avid climate change deniers in Senior Management
    15. A tattle culture

Advice to Management

Scuttle the ship?

"The most LGBT unfriendly employer I have ever seen, with institutionalized workplace bullying."

Former Employee - Principal Member of the Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Principal Member of the Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Do you like it when the place of your employment is completely deserted right at 5pm? Sandia is the place for you. Great for work/life balance if that's what you are looking for.

Cons

I had been there for several years, and had been the target of workplace bullying during the last year. When I reported it to management, they whitewashed it and then subsequently knocked my performance appraisal down. Here is an organization that cares more about how you fit in terms of the individual power agendas, and less to none about how performance impacts the enduser customers. They institutionalize bullying by telling people (me included) to not escalate such things up the normal path (i.e., through management, and in writing). That was all I needed to know to make my decision to leave. LGBT? Don't bother. They are very LGBT unfriendly.