Santa Barbara City College - Best Place to Work | Glassdoor

"Best Place to Work"

Former Intern - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA
Former Intern - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent communication between staff members and students who work for them. Everyone is friendly and appreciative of those who work there.It is inspiring to work for the #1 college in the nation. The instructors are interesting and enthusiastic about the work they do and their enthusiasm is energizing. When you work around professionals that love what they do it is a very positive environment.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that would be considered a drawback to working for the Allied Health Dept. associated with Santa Barbara City College. The campus is located in such a beautiful place with mostly ideal weather that even walking around campus you can't help but feel the positive atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work both inspiring students and working with your wonderful example of professionalism as well as encouragement for all who are fortunate enough to have worked with you.

Other Employee Reviews for Santa Barbara City College

1. "It is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time

Pros

The best thing is that i get to work on campus, so i can walk to class when i get off work. Beautiful location, right across the street from the beach in Santa Barbara and a great view of the beach. I think most of the staff enjoy their vacation and time-off, i'm part time so don't get vacation other than during the intermission

Cons

It seems that in every job there are people who just don't like you. So i try to be friendly and kind to those who it seems are unfriendly and carry on with my job.

Advice to Management

What would Jesus do? What we need in the world today is for everyone to hold themselves to a higher standard. To see the problems around us and do our best to Love our neighbor as ourselves. To make a difference and not just look the other way and say that's not my job or that doesn't concern me. I pray that we can all hold ourselves to a higher standard and not just what is good enough.

2. "Good Place to Work with Limited Benefits"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* People, for the most part, are great to work with.
    * Lori Gaskin, the school's president, does a great job at the helm. I hope she stays.
    * Helping students work to improve their lives is rewarding.
    * If a person teaches well, he/she is able to better keep up with the changes in the subject matter taught and share with others.

Cons

* Working with the general population of a society can be challenging at times.
    * As an adjunct, I have no say in the curricula of the course. I don't want to change it, but instead add to it. My Chair is not receptive to suggestions. Not all Chairs are like this though. It is a department by department situation.
    * As an adjunct, the benefits of the job are limited. There is no 401K matching. One will need to work here for years consistently to qualify for insurance.
    * The opportunity for promotions is also limited. This is the nature of working for a school though as an adjunct. There are only a few full time positions available.
    * Pay for an adjunct is below what a full time person makes for the same amount of hours worked.

Advice to Management

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the Monday Morning Updates, Lori. Please keep up the great work!
    Chairs, listen to your adjuncts, they work the front line too have have great ideas to share.