Save-A-Lot Food Stores - Stressful yet rewarding | Glassdoor

"Stressful yet rewarding"

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to work with the public and form good relationships with members of the community.

Cons

Working with the public that are not as friendly

Advice to Management

Need to go back to basics, quit it with all these failed new items

Other Employee Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

"This company is never satisfied with their employees hard work for little pay."

Current Employee - Store Clerk in District Heights, MD
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in District Heights, MD

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get pay raises based on how many hours you work. You also get paid weekly.

Cons

Management at my location has alot of personal issues that they take out on the employees. Sexual harassment, favoritism, nasty attitudes, talking down to employees, and asking employees to do things at work that are against company policy are happening everyday at work. This job would actually be decent if their management wasn't extremely out of control. Never apply to work at the District Heights, MD location.

Advice to Management

Do your job and leave your personal issues at home. Don't take your frustration out on your staff. Watch how you speak to your employees and don't date your staff.

2. "Overworked, too much expected, friendly associates"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly owners, and customers.
    -Cheap Groceries
    -Small envirement

Cons

-Low pay
    -50+ hrs a week for mgmt.
    -Unhappy employees due to low pay, hours, and no benefits

Save-a-lot is a good place to get your feet wet in the grocery business, however its a backwards ran company. I worked for a Licensee store and worked for the owners and not corporate. I had 6 years of grocery stocking experience for a well respected grocery chain in Fl and was only hired at $8 an hour..But I needed the work. I got promoted to asst mgr after 6 mos and made about $26k a year..thats it. They overwork you, all the help is also underpaid, with no benefits, or hours, they call in sick all the time. As a mgr your literally running to keep everything in line. Carts, sweeps, water, soda, beer, stocking trucks, displays, register, returns, office errors. Most of the customers dont speak english so its hard to understand complaints. Its funny Save-a-lot says they save you 40% in groceries, but the employees make 40% less than other grocery chains. It really is a joke of a store.
    Not to mention alot of illegal things they do when running their store. I wont go into detail but it includes payroll, dates, and coupons..too many shortcuts made. Its ok for part time cashiers who only want to work 20 hours a week, but definetly dont make a career out of it

Advice to Management

-Pay your employees atleast what other chains are paying.
    -Focus on your stores that are already open rather than always trying to expand.
    -Work on warehouse procedures. considering thats where alot of the in-store errors stem from.