Save-A-Lot Food Stores - Don't Get Suckered | Glassdoor

"Don't Get Suckered"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NONE. There was Nothing that was positive.

Cons

Where to begin? As an Assistant Store Manager for almost two years, I have seen the company go downhill very fast. If for one second think you are getting into a "management" job, regardless of title, think again. Your main job is unloading trucks, and stocking, you are basically a stock boy. If you work for this company, DO NOT expect a weekend off, or 1 of the weekend days for that matter. There is no room for family life, and the company will expect you to be fine with this. The communication between district management and the employees is terrible. There is such an "us against them" attitude in the company, it makes for a very uncomfortable workplace. I have seen AN ENORMOUS TURNOVER in the time I was with the company, there is always someone new training, NOBODY GOOD STAYS!
BE WARNED: They will appear to be very nice and inviting at interview, and promise you the world if you make an offer, HOWEVER ON DAY ONE, they make you sign a paper saying all previous promises are void, and from here on out, the employee handbook is your bible.
My advice, AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE...There are much better companies to work for, like most of their competition.

Advice to Management

Smarten up, open your eyes, employee moral is very low; from management to janitor, everyone is complaining about the company, because of your "policies" and micromanaging, you made a very depressing place to work. Respect family life...you should give your managers a weekend or two off a month, this is not unheard of, your competitors do it easily. Stop taking advantage of people, and start thinking of managers as managers, and start treating cashiers and other employees as humans.

Other Employee Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

"Not a Bad Place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

management is paid well, But you will be earning it.

Cons

Clerks are all part time hard to build loyalty there is lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

They expect 90% hands on not actually managing like at any other company. You will be working for your money.

"A stepping stone."

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people. I have encountered many great people in my years with the company, from whom much can, and has, been learned. I've always felt my pay was fair for the work done. The training department also has a wealth of programs and classes available for associates for self development. If you've the will and the drive, you can always find new opportunities within the corporate office to branch into, as well.

Cons

There is no solid perks, weekly paycheck aside, to work long term for this company. You can gain a wealth of experience, but other companies simply do better when it comes to perks.

Advice to Management

Focus on retention. For skilled, fresh people to stay, they have to have a reason beyond simply having employment. Otherwise you are nothing more than a stepping stone. In my years with the company, I have seen no emphasis on this.