Save-A-Lot Food Stores - Don't Get Suckered | Glassdoor

"Don't Get Suckered"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NONE. There was Nothing that was positive.

Cons

Where to begin? As an Assistant Store Manager for almost two years, I have seen the company go downhill very fast. If for one second think you are getting into a "management" job, regardless of title, think again. Your main job is unloading trucks, and stocking, you are basically a stock boy. If you work for this company, DO NOT expect a weekend off, or 1 of the weekend days for that matter. There is no room for family life, and the company will expect you to be fine with this. The communication between district management and the employees is terrible. There is such an "us against them" attitude in the company, it makes for a very uncomfortable workplace. I have seen AN ENORMOUS TURNOVER in the time I was with the company, there is always someone new training, NOBODY GOOD STAYS!
BE WARNED: They will appear to be very nice and inviting at interview, and promise you the world if you make an offer, HOWEVER ON DAY ONE, they make you sign a paper saying all previous promises are void, and from here on out, the employee handbook is your bible.
My advice, AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE...There are much better companies to work for, like most of their competition.

Advice to Management

Smarten up, open your eyes, employee moral is very low; from management to janitor, everyone is complaining about the company, because of your "policies" and micromanaging, you made a very depressing place to work. Respect family life...you should give your managers a weekend or two off a month, this is not unheard of, your competitors do it easily. Stop taking advantage of people, and start thinking of managers as managers, and start treating cashiers and other employees as humans.

Other Employee Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

"Challenging...very demanding of management."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company's stores are located in the right areas to serve deserving communities.

Cons

No 401k match, company is still trying to figure out who they are against competition.

Advice to Management

Establish the company's position and move forward.

2. "wasn't bad"

Former Employee - Cashier in York, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in York, PA

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it had to be the customers they were why we were there

Cons

wasn't a lot to take breaks or a half hour, was to get customers in and out quick

Advice to Management

they need to be more nice to the customers not be nassy to customers