Save Mart - Being a Deli Clerk | Glassdoor

"Being a Deli Clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Save Mart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay raises after so many hours worked. Union protected. Good benefits. Work well with school schedules.

Cons

Strict bosses and super tedious work. Hard to get days off. New recent contract which got rid of Sunday pay and restriced some people to 24 hrs a week and some 32 hrs. Not a set schedule

Other Employee Reviews for Save Mart

"Not the same company it used to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Friant, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Friant, CA

I have been working at Save Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. As long as you are willing to go the extra mile, be a team player, and be customer service oriented, it is very easy to survive here. Our company has a culture of promote from within. Ideally, the people you would work for has "been there and done that". Currently, I am an assistant manager that has had superiors that recoginized my talents and even helped me in becoming who I am. I am very thankful for that.

Cons

Our company is slowly downsizing due to various big box chains. Company philosiphies and vision consistantly change from week to week. Quite honestly, I don't even know our own "Mission Statement" is these days. At heart I am a company man and willing to be loyal to an employer, but nowadays, the very core values of our company that I was trained under are now against the grain. The very people that helped me and were company people, are now either retired or outcasted. My advice to anyone wanting to make our company a career, yes it is easy to learn, listen to everyone and make your own educated decision in line with your own personal aspirations, but trust no one!

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from and be truthful to your staff as to where they stand, especially in areas of promotion. Yes the truth hurts, but it even hurts more when as you, a boss, do not have a straight answer.

"Easy work, bad management, no advancement"

Current Employee - Bagger in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Bagger in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Save Mart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are willing to work around school schedules.
    We have a union to help you out if management is being unjust.
    Baggers (entry-level job) actually earn $8.70 starting out, and after a certain number of hours worked, can earn up to $9.50 -- better than most entry-level jobs intended for teenagers.

Cons

Management takes very little interest in the welfare of their employees.
    You can be transferred to a store in a completely different city with one day notice.
    You will almost never be scheduled with two consecutive days off.
    Since the company is going down the drain, advancement opportunities do not exist. Period.
    You must pay union dues.
    And, as per usual, working in retail is hell on earth.

Advice to Management

Remember your roots. Remember your employees are not robots in nametags. Remember that you can have your employees respect you AND like you, and in most cases, fear tactics are not the way to go.