Savers - Diverse, tigh-knit community of employees and customers alike." | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Savers

"Diverse, tigh-knit community of employees and customers alike.""

Former Employee - Sales Representative in West Roxbury, MA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in West Roxbury, MA

I worked at Savers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- really open and communicative work environment
- personally, i love thrift stores and savers is one of my favorites. the 50% off employee discount was not too shabby to say the least, especially on items already so cheap. my wardrobe doubled at least.
-consistent customer base that you get to know.
- interaction with a wide array of people.

Cons

-customers treat the store very disrespectfully. there is always much clean-up to be done during closing.
- the cash registers are not very modern and often break and disrupt proper customer service.

Other Employee Reviews for Savers

"Large company with small, personal feel. One of the best experiences of my multi-unit career."

Former Employee - District Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Savers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, excellent benefits, ability to run your business without being micromanaged, rewarded for success, alignment from bottom to top on company expectations. I loved the scope of responsibility, including the indirect management influence needed to ensure results were achieved while removing roadblocks to success for my people. Had management support in all endeavors. Opportunity to coach and train people for greater levels of responsibility and then see them achieve it! Knowing that while we were for-profit, Savers did a lot for non-profits through partnerships with local charities.

Cons

Thrift experience is a major hindrance to a successful job search, as it has a stigma that is absolutely not true. Working with other people's donations can sometimes be a very dirty (and potentially dangerous) job.

Advice to Management

Create a better work environment for team members in the back room. Those folks work hard for the money and bonus they are paid.

"Terrible management skills"

Former Employee - Operations Assistant Supervisor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant Supervisor in Naperville, IL

I worked at Savers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company as a whole really does have good qualities, they are a for profit resale company that takes their donates from a non profit organization that is near a general area. So they help communities locally.

Cons

They hide behind the good deeds of working with a non profit to hide the fact that they treat their employees in more than just a terrible way. Almost like they turn a blind eye to labor violations, harassment, and team moral. So they are totally aware of what is going on, but they choose to act like it's not happening so they can continue doing what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Your company will thrive if you take the time in making your staff feel like an actual staff, instead of a sweat shop in "back of house" and slaves in "front of house". I was degraded in front of the entire back of house staff by a trainee, and my manager laughed and congratulated the trainee in front of the entire staff. No one should ever have to feel so belittled at a workplace. Shame on you for allowing this kind of behavior.