Schlumberger - Great | Glassdoor

"Great"

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, good, best, awesome, fantastic

Cons

better pay, but it is still good

Other Employee Reviews for Schlumberger

"Good training and benefits, no work-life balance"

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has excellent training programs and reasonable benefit packages (although sometimes HR does not share all the information voluntarily and it is left to employees to find out and ask for them!)

Cons

Company has become too big and very hierarchical. Too many layers of management. It is easy to get into a management role ( since there are just too many management roles to fill!) but it doesn't mean much since you are not really developing any valuable skills which would help you in the outside market. The skills which are developed are Schlumberger specific or oilfield service company specific at best. If you are involved on the operation side there is no work-life balance and no respect for people's personal time. You carry your laptop everywhere and are expected to be available no matter if it is evening, weekend or on vacation.

Advice to Management

Company claims to have people, technology, profit as core values. What is practiced however is profit, profit, technology (to generate more profit). As large as the company has become the disconnect with people has become more pronounced. Maybe it is time to stop putting all the effort to compete externally and slow down and take a good look internally and see how people can be brought back into the core values' equation.

"Good training, good money but challenging work condition and life/work balance"

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Provide good training for field engineer, especially if you are new to oil&gas industry
    - Salary is above average, job bonus can count for a lot. You can possibly make 6 figures after only one year.
    - Travel opportunities are plenty
    - Overall good company for the inexperienced, young and unsettled.

Cons

- You are always on call excerpt on your days off/vacation, but the latter cannot be guaranteed, that means if you got a call at 3 am, You'll have to get up, gather your crews/equipment and drive to location. I have become paranoid of this that if I woke up at 7 am by my alarm, first thing I think of is that if I have missed a call from dispatch.
    - Physically challenging as you have to lift weights and stay awake for 20+ hours while processing data. Stress comes all around: management, client, your crew and many others
    - Job security is the subject of oil&gas pricing. Don't be surprised if you are let go or are asked to transfer to another part of the world.

Advice to Management

I really don't have much since I do not see them often.