Schnitzer Steel - Overwhelmingly tiresome to your moral and self esteem. They enjoy breaking hard working and gullible employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Schnitzer Steel

"Overwhelmingly tiresome to your moral and self esteem. They enjoy breaking hard working and gullible employees."

Former Employee - Metal Grader, Welder Fabricator, Weighmaster in Eugene, OR
Former Employee - Metal Grader, Welder Fabricator, Weighmaster in Eugene, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I must enter 5 words? Give me a break. Medical Benefits,401k retirement program

Cons

Management is above you, and if your not buddy-buddy with them, you don't matter. Never ever use the open door policy, never complain to anyone about situations you would deem ethical violations or Code of Conduct violations ie; Safety, Sexual Harrasement,Hostilities. Never call the whistleblower hotline, as HR has a link to the local management and they will hunt you down and suspend, then terminate you after a lengthy unpaid investigation. Its a dog eat dog world, they encourage employees to stab each other in the back for the fight of favor with the supervisors. Do not believe anything that you are told. They have forked tongues and manipulate every situation to keep themselves out of trouble. Customers complain of corruption and no wonder why I see our "Old" customers going to the competition. They get better treatment, as well they should. Do not show this company loyalty as they will not do the same for you. I was suspended after 10 total years of service the day after the investigation on the ethicspoint website. Then after almost 3 weeks of unpaid leave they finally get back to me and fire me. I am in contact with a lawyer and hope to make public this information.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, Your organization is corrupt. You are crippling your employees and the company by keeping these "losers" in management positions. Customers are dissatisfied, employees are dissatisfied, and it isn't looking any better

Other Employee Reviews for Schnitzer Steel

"Contradictory, they talk the talk but DON'T walk the walk"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you get in with the "correct" political people, you can do no wrong as this company demonstrates extreme favoriteism.

Cons

Company is very political and shows strong favoritism.

Advice to Management

Stop blowing your own horns, you are so much less than you think you are.

2. "Contented"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Current GM of MRB Portland yard doing a wonderful job in spite of the layoffs. Wonderful benefits and pay. Opportunities to grow within the company. Great place to learn diverse skill sets. Suitable work hours and PTO accrual. Always looking for positive ways to improve.

Cons

Currently, employees are stretched thin and overworked. Communication needs major improvement. Taking action after decision making is too slow. Claims to offer tuition assistance, but has numerous undisclosed restrictions.

Advice to Management

Upper management and executives need to be more personable to their employees, especially when visiting offices. Make a point to introduce yourselves to everyone in the office. It makes a difference on the impressions the staff will have of you.