Scholastic - At least we weren't marketing cigarettes to kids | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

"At least we weren't marketing cigarettes to kids"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented colleagues, a product you can feel good about, very competitive benefits.

Cons

Grossly mismanaged from the top down. HR completely non-supportive. Communication from upper management was disorganized and infrequent.

Advice to Management

Listen to the talented people in the middle ranks.

Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic

"Loved and hated Scholastic over the years..."

Former Employee - Senior Editorial/Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Editorial/Management in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

--I worked with some fabulous, talented, smart, fun, committed people.
    --Great benefits--not as good now, but still quite good.
    --Beautiful offices in Soho
    --In some departments, good possibilities for recognition.

Cons

--HR is consistently terrible. They don't listen, don't help, and don't defend employees rights even in the most straightforward of ways.
    --Upper management are famous for their in-fighting. They are more interested in defeating each other than the larger vision of the company.
    --Bad management at all levels is tolerated even when it is widely known by many divisions, HR, and the CEO.
    --The Web site and the Web group are completely dysfunctional. It's been rethought, redesigned, reinvented every year for the past ten and continues to be terrible and problematic for many Scholastic brands and businesses.
    --There is a lot of nepotism, favoritism, different rules for different people.
    --In recent years, they barely hire. They bring in people on contract to avoid hiring them and cuts have been so deep that work quality has really suffered. Key jobs that are important to a division or group's success are filled by temps who can walk away at any time.

Advice to Management

--Get rid of the dead wood making over 300K. We all know there are quite a few names on that list.
    --Treat people fairly
    --Make a plan for succession. What is going to happen when the CEO/owner dies or retires?

"Company needs a major overhaul"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Scholastic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours, part time work, seasonal work. Its a job.

Cons

Management at all level never listen to their employees, ideas or complaints. If your a favorite you keep a job, if not your out the door. If you have any complaints, your out the door. Workplace violence is a problem here in the Charlotte warehouse location but when taken to management 2 days later I had no job. The troubled employee has intimidated employees to the point they quit, threatened the lives of employees, physically fought with an employee and threatened me. All I wanted to do was to work hard for the company and have a job. I think this company should not be allowed in our school systems. Stop wasting tax payor money fighting the courts over the 3.8 million dollars you owed in taxes and pay up. It's in the news, read about it. Company is going down hill fast.

Advice to Management

Come down from your upper management positions away from your desk. Look and listen to employees. Re-organize your company from the ground up. Start with your management, then the CEO.