Scholastic - My experience at Scholastic was a positive one. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

"My experience at Scholastic was a positive one."

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Scholastic offices in downtown Manhattan, Soho, provided a comfortable work environment.

Cons

I personally found it hard to grow within the company.

Advice to Management

I was a part time employee so was unable to take advantage of career advancement opportunities within the company. I would suggest close observation of the talents each of your employees have to offer and using those talents to the full.

Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic

"A complete waste of my time"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to share quality products with wonderful customers. I also had the pleasure of making some wonderful friends.

Cons

As a teacher, I expected Scholastic to be an extension of what I had done in teaching - a place where I could use my education and experience to make a difference. WRONG! I was treated like a child, scolded or yelled at, pushed to do more, more, more. Management is incredibly disrespectful and rude to employees and there is no recourse because HR is best friends with the VP. The place is rife with nepotism - jobs being created for family of management while hard-working employees were laid off or even fired. I was constantly on edge, never knowing when or what I'd be reprimanded for. When I did make my goal (and far beyond), the management refused to pay me commission, spending more than 3 months finding a loophole that they could use. After going to HR in NY to get my earned commission, I was harrassed constantly by my manager - she even called me out for daring to speak up. I have never felt so under-appreciated, under-utilized, and small! I could not get out of there fast enough!

Advice to Management

To top management: get smart and promote some managers who can actually manage! Put people in place who will support the reps. Don't hire friends and family who are not qualified for their positions. Stop micro-managing EVERYTHING and let intelligent people use their skills to your benefit.
    To team managers: Try using positive reinforcement - it will get you so much farther with your reps. Don't see everything as a challenge to your authority - instead support your reps and let them make you look good! Focus on actually doing your job instead of visiting with the other managers.

"Plusses but minuses too"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The vision and mission is socially good.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth, unclear career paths.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote from within, people can see that and appreciate it. Instead, in certain departments like the one I worked in, people were always hired from outside for the more senior positions.