School Specialty - Çontinues to struggle | Glassdoor

"Çontinues to struggle"

I have been working at School Specialty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Çompany continues to move into leaner structure and better stability financially. Most managers are pretty flexible about schedules and work hours.

Cons

Lacking raises, 401 matching etc. Could do without the furloughs, but its not current management that got us into this mess. Previous CEO didn't care about anything except his own bank account and fattening it up. New CEO is trying to fix the mess.

Other Employee Reviews for School Specialty

1. "Improved Sales Compensation Plan"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at School Specialty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For a salesperson it's great to work form home. As long as you work hard and focus on doing your job you won't get much hands-on from your Regional Sales Manager (good for me). I create my own schedule and do the job the way I want to. As long as your numbers are looking good you are pretty much free to do your own thing.

Cons

The company has a ton of debt which prohibits much investment in the future. The focus is mostly on suvival. Also, at my part of School Specialty (Premier Agendas) they are trying to transform us into a curriculum company which will be very difficult. On the other hand our main product (student agendas) is becoming a commodity which makes success from year to year very tough. This company has gotten smaller for the last 4 years.

Advice to Management

Don't focus on the transformation so much that we forget our core products

"Mismanaged,some out of date products. stiff competition"

I have been working at School Specialty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best support was from co-workers who shared best practices. Some products interesting, others quickly sent to market w no research.

Cons

A stagnating company. Sales staff is scapegoated for lack of direction from senior management. Solid, hard-working employees let go by this new President to fake having a sense of direction. Restrictive attendance policy shows favoritism (some folks still abuse the time clock). Field sales not given enough support. Some of the worst benefits out there--furloughs, no 401-K match and a very high-deductible health insurance. Lavelle would rather kill peoples jobs than work together as a team to save a company in big trouble.

Advice to Management

Upper management is ultra-conservative--hence their attitude to chop benefits and people just to keep themselves in stock options. No sense of loyalty to long-time employees. It's all about the quarterly earnings show for stock holders.