Schwan's - Always hiring tells you all you need to know! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

"Always hiring tells you all you need to know!"

Former Employee - CSM in Reno, NV
Former Employee - CSM in Reno, NV

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent plus commission, if you are able to reach that level of sales. Occasional chance to sample the product to help with the ability to sell the product.

Cons

Long hours, no compensation for meals when working out of town, and if you are injured on the job they will do all they can to force you out the door.

Advice to Management

Stop making the employees stay out until 9 pm. As a customer, no one wants someone at their house that late.

Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's

"Home Service - Fading like a Flower"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Leader in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Leader in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40% discount on food (though 20% is thru website)
    Sampling (Get to sample out food and make dinner for your drivers)

Cons

1. Long hours - No home life (At every Home Service operations position)

2. Very small pay for the amount of time you put in. You can make $40k-$50k+ as a TSL but is it worth 80+ hours/week? Bonuses are out of your control- you can control the sales part but you must rely on your district to make profit. If you have a big truck accident, a relocation expense, or another manager spending erratically - you're out of luck.

3. You need to run a route before becoming management. You need to learn how vulnerable the equipment is and what issues your drivers will have. They spend more time troubleshooting their equipment than selling or driving.

4. Hiring- it's tough to find people who want to work for Schwan's. The small pay for the amount of hours you work is not worth it to many smart US Workers. If you don't hire the right individuals, you'll be servicing the routes yourself.

5. (Side Note) This company will let you have many tattoos but will not allow full beards- what kind of nonsense is this? And you better be clear about this issue before you start as I was not until a top executive arrived at my depot.

Advice to Management

Focus on Marketing. Help the RSR's and TSL's by advertising. More coupons and less making rep's and management knock on doors. Knocking on doors is illegal in many communities and can be a threat to your life these days.

Allow TSL's to have freedom like before (When they were called LGM's)
    You can't tie their hands and expect results.

"A Truly Pathetic Company!"

Former Employee - CSM in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - CSM in Cumming, GA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers where mostly great to work with as well as my fellow CSRs. A lot of the food items where pretty good with some exceptions of course.

Cons

Severely micromanaged and overtly mismanaged all around; upper Management blatantly lied in regards to ANY promotion opportunities in the company be it for worker promotion or benefits, route development and building (yeah, we never saw ANY company route builders in my time with Schwan's regardless of the constant teasing from management that we would get teams in our depot), bonus', rewards, and contest programs (all a JOKE), and etc. We NEVER received what was promoted and promised to us despite our working our butts off and meeting the ever changing demographics that the Management would constantly change like water running through an open tap!
    Good luck using any Medical benefits as the company will fight to pay them despite an injury on company time due to outside influences (one of our drivers was hit head on by an oncoming car in his lane on a curve --- he survived only because he was in one of the older model GMC Topkick trucks) or by the companies poor choice and upkeep/ maintenance of equipment (these Isuzu [GMC/Chevy] cabovers are JUNK ---- we even had one of the NEW models break the front leaf spring shackles while the driver was traveling on a straight highway)!

Hours expected from management is at minimum 60 a week but most of our CSM's put in 72 a week. There is NO PAY FOR HOLIDAYS AT ALL; you WILL BE REQUIRED TO MAKE UP ANY LOST ROUTE TIME DUE TO HOLIDAYS OFF!!! You WILL NOT get ANY sick days off; you WILL BE REQUIRED to make up all lost time REGARDLESS of reason at your own time by working Saturdays and Sundays, period!

You will use and pay for your own personal phone....a LOT (better invest in the unlimited plans); do not expect ANY reimbursement from the company for your minutes used for COMPANY TIME which will be extensive since the management constantly calls and harasses for any trivial information!

Do expect to be worked to the bone, unappreciated, talked down to, and threatened for your job daily!

Never expect to see your family or loved ones again; you will eat, sleep, and repeat Schwan's!

Advice to Management

Having experienced the, "Schwan's way of doing business", I can only agree with the MANY disgruntled reviews and reports stating that this companies management is in severe need of elimination; Schwan's sorely lacks in ethical and business sensed management! It needs a cleansing from the top executives down to (most) of the Depot management!

But I dare say that Schwan's will never take the correct steps to thwart their continued spiral and inevitable demise (yes, Home Service is dying) as they simply are too dense to listen to their workers who actually MAKE THEM MONEY ----you know, your Route Sales Personnel!