Schwan's - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

"YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!"

Former Employee - General Manager
Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are nice that's about it!!!!

Cons

Pay is awful, hours are awful, you are treated like a dog and you can not trust anyone....If you read everyone's reviews they basically all say the same thing. Why the hell would you want to work here??? always hiring. Interviews would consist of taking a mirror sticking it under a candidates nose and if there is air coming out he or she passed the 1st part of interview. 2nd part would be are you ok with never being at home, not having dinner with your family and finally can you work 60-75hrs a week at minimum wage. If they answered yes to all parts they were hired. So if you are looking for job and you interview at schwans sorry guys/gals if you have a pulse you have a 75% chance of getting the job.

Advice to Management

outdated business model. another new CEO?? What does it tell you over the past 5 years to have 3 CEO'S.I actually feel bad for the new CEO. He has hands full!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's

"RSR"

Former Employee - RSR in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - RSR in Rochester, NY

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

working out on your own

Cons

They keep changing your pay. They say it will help you make more money, but really you end up making less.

Advice to Management

Close the door, stop lying to the people out there doing the work.

"The absolute worst professional experience of my career - Schwan's Atlanta, Georgia Bakery"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor/Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor/Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expectation and necessity to learn as much as possible in a very short amount of time due to the unfavorable state of the business. Ability to make a huge impact with minor contributions (low hanging fruit all over the place with little competition and a lack of capable individuals). Skills acquired to manage through unprofessionalism, poor email etiquette, and lack of training. The skills acquired to survive in a cut throat /( CYA) environment.

Cons

Extremely long hours ( 60 - 84 hrs a wk. including mandated, uncompensated Sat and Sun work) (Only Ops supv/mgrs are required to work weekends, all supporting groups do not). The recruitment process did not yield accurate information of the position requirements and if you are considering taking a position there please do not sign the 2 year relocation expense repayment agreement. 2 Years is a LONG TIME in that situation, TRUST ME. There is absolutely NO work/life balance. You will have to work from home (Even on your off days) in order to stay afloat from the tremendous amount of workload in addition to the already long hours at the plant (interview someone in a similar role prior to accepting any position). No one on the hourly level is interested in pursuing salaried positions due to the workload, stress, lack of pay, etc. Most Mfg. Lead positions will be better compensated than their supervisor due to the abundance of overtime pay. You will not be offered a thorough training program/process. More or less, there is a "sink or swim" approach where you are forced to take initiative to learn processes, softwares, procedures, etc. I have never been so overwhelmingly unhappy in my life. Hence, the reason I CHOSE to pursue other opportunities. There was a revolving door in mostly all salaried positions. I literally saw turnover in at least 20 "Key Contributor" positions (From the Director level on down to the Production Lead level) during the < 2 year tenure. You know its a bad situation when people choose unemployment over working in that facility. Well payed salaried employees (Managers) decided to quit without having other opportunities to pursue due to the work related stress, workload, and unrealistic expectations. Also, I have never seen so many safety incidents in my life. I am not referring to the small incidents either. There were several, serious safety incidents that resulted in amputation or extended ,intensive care stays. Also be weary of the working climate/conditions as well. The facility is NOT climate controlled. Therefore, it will be blazing during the Georgia summer months and very chilly during the winter months. If you are in a leadership position, be prepared to manage individuals that probably couldn't get the position they are in anywhere else. Often times they were promoted internally only out of desperation to fill a position due to the high turnover. Hence, making them often times incapable of producing what their position requires and increasing your workload as a manager/supervisor. In addition, you will not receive a bonus. Those are nearly unheard of and yet again unrealistic to achieve with the outdated equipment (machines were literally rigged with tape, zip ties, and makeshift repair efforts), lack of error proof mixing procedures/systems, and lack of concern from the employee base. However, you cant really blame the employees either when they don't have a work life balance either. As a member of Mgt, I found myself often playing "Tug of War" with my direct report's lives. Due to machine failures, lack of packaging materials, etc, I would often have to cancel their work shifts the day of , resulting in <40 hr wks for them. At the same time, there were also times where production lines were added at the last minute and I would have to scramble to form a crew of people who were initially scheduled off, on vacation, etc. Schwan's literally controlled their employee's lives. Employees schedules were literally made the day before due to the ever changing production schedule. In other words, often employees would not know if they were scheduled to work the following day until the end of their shift the day before or from a call to their home from their supervisor. Myself and my direct reports were literally "on call" 24 - 7 with no regard for sleep or work/life balance. Oh and don't dare take a few days off. I made this mistake and returned to over 300 unanswered emails. Half of which were emails that required a response, approval, etc. The Production Supervisor/Manager role is heavily relied upon for production planning, safety initiatives, continuous improvement, R and D planning/projects, RCA, Maintenance Planning/PM work, etc. The Production Supervisor/Manager in this facility is the funnel for almost every initiative/project.

In conclusion, I wouldn't even recommend my worst enemy to work at the Schwan's Atlanta facility and that's the God's honest truth.

Advice to Management

Leadership by fear is not the way to sustain positive performance. Threatening your direct report's jobs constantly is not encouraging and will not improve employee retention. Increased expectations without a commitment to invest capitol in newer machinery, more skilled mechanics, and better talent is obviously unrealistic. If the facility is capable of producing positive results, INVEST INVEST INVEST in it. Buy and maintain new equipment (spiral freezers, packaging equipment, depositors, etc.), Show your people you care about them or at least act like it, recruit more skilled maintenance mechanics, and drive to achieve more of a work/life balance for all.