Schwan's - Happy | Glassdoor

"Happy"

Current Employee - TSL
Current Employee - TSL

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair pay for good work

Cons

Micro managing by upper middle

Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's

"Over worked, under paid."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Benton, AR
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Benton, AR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Once you leave the depot in the morning you are not watched over.

Cons

Remember that comment about not being watched over? Scratch that. you have a GPS. They know where you are, how long you were there. No family life, Out the door at 7:00am and back home by 10:00pm. These hours only get you $100.00 per day. $50 if your matrix is off in anyway. Commission is very bad. If you are having a good day which is seldom in this economy, you might sell $1000 a day. That amounts to about $20 in commission. Worse than minimum wage. We are hammered with new ideas from Marshall, MN. that they turn into contests for us and the payouts suck even if you win. There are hoops to jump thru everyday and it gets old not only for the employee but the customers get tired of seeing you out in a driving rain or snow storm pushing the latest and greatest contest that management has come up with. I have lost many a customer because of these contests. Then you are hounded to get your customer count up and knock on doors in the dark, only to be greeted by a protective dog or homeowner with a gun in your face. When was the last time that you saw a Schwans commercial? You are the companies commercial.

Advice to Management

Enough with the contests already. One big one a year is enough. Let us build our routes the way we see fit. Let us have contests with our customers. This gets the customer actively involved. Let us have business cards with a Schwans logo on it. Lets us use social media as a way to bond our customers together to compete with each other. The food is way too pricy. Two pounds of salmon at walmart is half the price. I have tried both in a taste test and you can tell no difference.

"Going Downhill Fast"

Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Marshall, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were many in the beginning but now only a few. Gone are the profit sharing, award banquets, contests, club levels etc. etc. The 40% employee discount is good but not really when you consider the declining product quality. There are still some good people within the organization. The RSR's are for the most part good HARD WORKING people who get stepped on daily in many ways. As well as all of the great people behind the scenes working on the operations crews. The SDSS's and the MH's get no respect but are a solid group. The customers who still buy are loyal and forgiving.

Cons

Where to start. There are too many to list. The main reason it has gotten so bad is when Marvin passed away and the Board of Directors brought in outside leaders to "fix" the business and they failed. 4 CEO's and over 7 President's of Home Service since Marvin passed. It takes each externally hired leader months if not years to learn the home delivery route sales business. It is unique. They just keep replacing the people who moved up the ranks through hard work and hired externally "educated" leaders who are 9 to 5'ers. The internal management who are still there are too scared to speak their minds and just go with the flow to keep their jobs. Now there are too many to remove and the Company will never be close to as great as they once were. By doing this and not fixing the real problems (junk equipment, HHC's, trucks, turnover, product quality. etc. etc.) they have eroded everything Marvin had built. HR is embedded and involved in every aspect of the business. They are now the true Leaders of Schwan's. As they continue to run things there will always be a greater need for them (HR and Legal) until the Company is sold or folds. I will be shocked if they last more than another 5 years.

Advice to Management

Pay your hard working RSR's and TSL's a decent wage and then promote the cream of the crop. Remove the externally hired deadbeats in management who have no clue about what the RSR's do day in and day out to make a living. Revamp HR and the control they have over every aspect of SHS. Or they will be the death of Schwan's.