Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. - Very positive and great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.

"Very positive and great company to work for."

Current Employee - Test Technician in Pullman, WA
Current Employee - Test Technician in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Benefits are very good and growing company.

Cons

Small area pay is a little low due to this.

Other Employee Reviews for Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.

"Top quality company"

Former Employee - Senior Assembler in Pullman, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Assembler in Pullman, WA

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very values-oriented, listen to their people, employee owned, growing

Cons

Could still pay for performance more, becoming TOO big

"Good company, but still a family empire."

Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent less than 5 years at SEL and I enjoyed my time there. "Most" people (I'll talk about the rest in the cons section) are very friendly and they have a great work environment. I was a Field Application Engineer and get the freedom to choose your own work, what relay do you like to support the most, how many app guides to write vs teaching, etc. They buy you Friday lunch, which might not be a big deal, but at least you're getting "free" food on Friday. You also have the opportunity to write papers and get exposed to the power industry at conferences.

Cons

This company is 100% employee-owned, but that does not matter, Ed still does whatever he wants and if you even consider speaking against his ideas then you get immediately fired. The salary could be better (it's slightly below industry average) and the bonus is a joke (My last year's bonus was roughly $1,100 minus taxes), and Ed's excuse for not giving a good bonus is because he spends all the money in making new buildings and buying jets. There is no real growth path, and you pretty much have to be one of the "chosen" ones to move up in the company. I mentioned that most people are friendly, but some higher-ups are rude and you really can't complain to HR, as HR is owned by Ed and his friends, if you don't mind dealing with these people, or sucking up to them, then don't count this as a con. Finally, if you ever want to move to a different position then you might have to relocate to Pullman, which is in the middle of nowhere and flying there takes a whole day. Finally, there is so much work to be done because they don't hire enough people, so keep that in mind, you'll be working weekends, staying late, and all that overtime is uncompensated.

Advice to Management

I would advise to stop wasting money in jets and buildings and actually raise the salary and give a "decent" bonus to your employees. A better salary and bonus will improve your retention. Also, Ed, if you are reading this, please stop making everyone agree with you and firing the ones that don't, listen to constructive feedback for the well-being of the company. Finally, hire more people, FAEs are always so busy and technical support has been lacking for a while. The company does not need to grow 15% if you can't sustain the growth by hiring more engineers.