Scottrade - Great work environment. | Glassdoor

"Great work environment."

Current Intern - Intern in Edmond, OK
Current Intern - Intern in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Unlimited access to financial tools. Great learning opportunities. Excellent corporate culture and communications with the home office.

Cons

Much of the information you learn is very firm specific. An intern will not be able to answer many of the questions due to regulations.

Advice to Management

Great job! Maybe add a little more personal interaction to the training process rather than just reading page after page.

Other Employee Reviews for Scottrade

"A downward spiral"

Former Employee - Senior Stockbroker
    Former Employee - Senior Stockbroker

I worked at Scottrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OK benefits, Rodger is a really nice guy who means well, work/life balance is good, and if you're lucky enough to have decent colleagues in your branch, it can be kind of fun sometimes. You can get really good at your job due to the fact that it is extremely repetitive.

Cons

Once upon a time, Scottrade had very few. Now, not so much. Bonuses are non-existent, and brokers are being pushed to sell with zero compensation. The simple features clients have literally screamed for, such as dividend reinvestment, are still not available. They came out with Portfolio Manager thinking it would save the company, but once again, this is a tool our competitors have had for a long time. The morale at HQ has turned to zero and the disconnect between them and the branches is absolutely horrific.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money, pay your employees to sell, and do the right thing for those who work hard. Cut down the Branch Admin department and reward those who add to the bottom line.

"Rapidly diving into mediocrity and obsolescence!"

Current Employee - Stockbroker
    Current Employee - Stockbroker

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, work/life balance, benefits - but they're increasing premiums faster than pay increases.

Cons

Just about everything else! Inferior platforms, incompetent operations staff at HQ but when you pay 12-13/hr, you get what you pay for. Inferior services and everything involves paperwork. When my wife had an E-trade account before I became an employee, I requested a check online - I didn't have to call and speak with anyone. The bank is truly pathetic and the fact that each bank account is tied to a parent brokerage account, thus no transferability between multiple bank and brokerage accounts is so archaic it's just ridiculous. You will get tired of your clients belittling you and saying "so what do you do" after you tell them that you don't offer advice. If I had a penny for every time I heard that I'd be retired. How rewarding is that when you're mocked by your clients on a daily basis. If you like being sworn at and insulted and spending multiple hours per day helping 93 year-olds reset their passwords, then by all means Scottrade is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Get with the program and ditch the overly conservative legal counsel and management filling Roger's head with paranoid dribble. The "it's a business decision" garbage is getting really old. We have no excuse for being rapidly left behind by the competition and if you think you can continue to blame your branch personnel for the failing company, you're going to be left with subpar branch staff real quick. Put the Branch Admin department (which is a useless bureaucratic waste of a department anyway) in it's place.