Scottrade - Great company, low stress, team environment | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade

"Great company, low stress, team environment"

Current Employee - Stock Broker
Current Employee - Stock Broker

I have been working at Scottrade full-time

Pros

Branch locations offer small teams of good people, clean break between work and social life, low stress environment.

Cons

Changing organizational structure, hard to advance without being able to pick up and move across the country. Limited ways to work harder to increase compensation.

Other Employee Reviews for Scottrade

1. "OK Place"

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, Not a lot of long hours

Cons

Pay, No lunch, Decreasing Bonuses

"Be wary of the future of this company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time

Pros

The co-workers on my team and the relationships I've developed with them will remain. Decent benefits.

Cons

This was once a great place to work. It was the home of the 40-hour work week with great co-workers and a very family-friendly atmosphere. Those days are gone. After years of touting how there were never any layoffs it happened. They've recently engaged a management consulting firm to do more restructuring. Seriously? I honestly don't know what more this company could do to make employee morale any lower. The company culture is systematically being destroyed. After several big project failures and innumerable delays the expectation now is to do whatever it takes to meet deadlines and shove things out the door. That means working evenings and weekends so dates aren't missed. I think I've seen nearly every project management anti-pattern demonstrated in some fashion in the past year. Your technical skills will suffer here because developers spend most of their day dealing with administrative duties rather than writing software. Short-term gains are now the key. And yes, it was actually stated the company is willing to take on technical debt for quick gains. I could provide a laundry list of the epic failures going on here. There are too many people in management promoted above their skill set as others have stated. The talent gets frustrated and moves on while the mediocre and worse remain. At one time I had really hoped to retire from this company. Now I fear for my friends still working there. I just can't fathom how a good company like this can take such a turn for the worse within a year's time.

Advice to Management

It's hard to give advice to those who quite obviously aren't listening or managing anything. Your employees are afraid to speak up for fear of being next on the list of layoffs and many of them have given up in favor of just biding their time and collecting a paycheck. Morale is extremely low. Spending ridiculous amounts of money on management consultants is not the answer. Proper management is. If you want to keep what talent remains it's time to give raises and more vacation time. Let your developers actually write code instead of filling out various change requests and other forms, wasting their lunchtime in meetings and wading through red tape all day. Bonuses aren't worthy of consideration in an employee's compensation package any longer. Save the money on the consultants and buy everyone in project management a copy of the Mythical Man Month.