Scribe Media - Yes, it's amazing, and... | Glassdoor

"Yes, it's amazing, and..."

Former Employee - Manuscript Creative

I worked at Scribe Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are so many cool and talented people in this company. Some of them even marry each other, which is pretty dope. No matter what department you're in, you will learn a ton. You'll learn from the authors, the people you work with in the office, and everyone else you encounter. You'll definitely be challenged beyond your comfort zone every day. You'll work on books with a wide range of people from a bunch of different industries. You'll have so many potential mentors for everything from emotional growth to finances. You won't have to worry about being some fake-professional version of yourself every day. When they say bring your whole self to work, they mean it. Make vulgar jokes, wear whatever you want, make fun of the founder. If you get your work done, you can do pretty much anything else you want. There are slack channels set up for people to discuss their emotional journeys, whether with psychedelics, therapy, or anything in between. It's really quite incredible to watch how much some people grow. You'll help people improve their lives significantly, which is gratifying work. Some of the authors legit change their lives because of their books. Being part of that never gets old.

Cons

Man, I hesitated even writing this. It is a mostly rewarding company to work with. But this company is so big on honest feedback and transparency that it'd be a disservice not to give critical feedback as well. *Workload for Writers* Ghostwriters can expect to write 8+ books at a time. It's definitely a churn and burn environment. You'll write a lot of books, but the more clients they have taken on the more quality began to slip. Hiring more writers would have been an easy solution, but I believe cash was tight. *Profit Share* Their career postings say the following: "The salary is not all you will make. All tribe members are entitled to discretionary profit sharing. When we say "profit sharing" we don't mean the BS "here's a tiny piece of equity that might be worth something in 10 years." We're already a profitable company, and 25% of the company profit goes to the Tribe. So every time we take profit distribution, you get a share of those actual profits." I was there for two years and they never paid a profit share. That's no problem--in 2018, the reasoning made sense: they were in the red that year by several hundred thousand dollars (and had just taken on a large loan). But in 2019 they made a profit. And still no profit share. They're all about asking questions, but it's a different story when you ask the profit sharing question! Of course I'm not there anymore, so their Head of People might be able to elaborate in his response to this review. *Culture* The company has been lauded for its culture (most notably by Entrepreneur Magazine, which has a significant partnership with Scribe). And there are parts of the culture that are great--dogs in the office, wear whatever you want, free lunch on Fridays. However, the emotional openness and vulnerability that are encouraged by the company come at a cost. Most notably, opening up about your past and your emotional issues can lead to having them used as an ad hominem argument against you. For example, I was tasked with writing a Language Bible for the company. I bristled against it, saying I felt uncomfortable trying to dictate how people were expected to communicate within Scribe. The founder responded by saying I was projecting my own issues onto the task. That kind of phrasing--"You're projecting your own issues onto this"--is a common method to dismiss critical feedback in the company. It's pretty brilliant, actually. Anyway, it was a wild two years at Scribe. Did I learn a lot? Hell yeah. Am I happy I worked there? Absolutely. But leaving was one of the best professional choices I've ever made (my blood pressure immediately returned to normal after I put in my two weeks notice). I'll leave with this quote from Chomsky that pretty well sums up the culture at this company: "The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” ― Noam Chomsky Greg

Continue reading
    Scribe Media2019-12-19

Other Employee Reviews

1. "A Lifelong Career"

Current Employee - Head of Design in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve been here for most of the history of this company, and each subsequent year only strengthens my love and appreciation for it. Most would find it extremely lucky to find deep satisfaction with either their work, or their coworkers. But here I have the extraordinary fortune of both. Each of us has enough autonomy to truly own our role and responsibilities, with support from leadership that encourages, mentors and values that independence.

Cons

None that are particularly unique to us, but rather common among many rapidly growing companies. Iterate quickly, but not haphazardly. Expect things to break, or being the one to break them, so that you can build something better. Not necessarily a con, but also not the pace everyone is suited to.

Scribe Media2020-02-21
  2. "People First!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to Chief Executive Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Scribe’s culture is one that intentionally puts people first. Scribe embodies its principle of “Do Right By People” which is just one of the many reasons Scribe is a great place to work and do business with. From Tribe members to Authors, Scribe consistently treats people with compassion and genuine caring. The Tribe members are an amazingly talented, motivated and brilliant group of growth and service-minded individuals who make working together feel like the best group project ever.

Cons

This is a growing organization. At times there are growing pains. Change is the only constant. Note: this isn’t a con unless you are someone who doesn’t enjoy change and problem-solving. It’s all about culture fit.

Scribe Media2020-02-20

Discover more reviews about Scribe Media.