Sears - Retail is what it is | Glassdoor

"Retail is what it is"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, generally nice customers, nice employee's, understanding management

Cons

Not enough hours, advancement is a little rough

Advice to Management

Pay your managers more and treat them better

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Tough Culture"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and solid opportunities to build relationships with those people. Relatively innovative digital projects and technologies. Solid technical team.

Cons

People tend to be promoted into top management roles before they are ready. Multiple managers in a short period of time. Morale can be low. Ever shifting goals and priorities make it hard to keep up. Employee discount is nice.

Advice to Management

Stability and consistency in management would help to improve the morale. Constant shifts in priorities and goals make it challenging to understand what is required. Stay the course for six months at a time to provide the stability that employees crave in a large, legacy organization.

"Zero stability revolving door in middle management in the field."

Current Employee - MPA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - MPA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Our store manager genuinely cared about us as people, not just drones for dollars and credit apps. He engaged each of us as individuals, knew about our lives, and overall, made each of us feel important. Our morale grew under his leadership. The customers knew him by name. Store metrics continued to improved after being the bottom performer prior to his arrival. He believed in us and proved it.

Cons

Then they let him go. Went from a 5 star rating to 3 just because of that action. Six DMs in the past 3 years and as many regional managers, the SM held it and us together . Aged fixtures from the middle part of the last century, broken, damaged. POS as old as the fixtures. Yet another new manager. Lot's of unknown about the company's future.. We are asked to rate the CEO. Who is he? He has never been to our store. We have had one visit in my tenure from somebody with a VP title.

Advice to Management

Stop the revolving door with the DMs and company "directives of the month. " The new technology (IPADs, IPODS, etc.) are great but spend more money on the fixtures and store conditions that make the customers shopping experience more comfortable. Need more support in our store from the corporate office just like you give Woodfield, West Dundee, Oak Brook, State Street. Our customers always ask why our store doesn't get the same treatment as the suburban stores. Leaking roof, iffy air conditioner.