Sears - Great people working together | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Great people working together"

Former Employee - Tool Sales in Camp Hill, PA
Former Employee - Tool Sales in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very flexible, great people that work there

Cons

Sears has some executive level management issues which you feel at a lower level

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Retail is supposed to be a growing industry"

Former Employee - Lead Sales in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Lead Sales in Charleston, WV

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The networking you can do locally with your customers is great. You get to know them and service them all at once while making money.

Cons

Management focuses too much on numbers, less on customer service, and even less on taking care of their employees.

Advice to Management

Remove the employees that are there to not move forward. They have hindered your business and if you look at your numbers they always reach the bare minimum. You need to make space for those young upcoming people who a career in the industry and allows them to grow on a different level. This will give you the ability to start them out fresh with very little bad influence and begin to generate good habits and higher productivity. Also organization of your storage room needs fixed. The 3rd floor is terrible and you cant find things when you need them. Your customers don't know where your appliances are half the time they come in. THIS NEEDS FIXED!!! If you want to complain about your numbers look at your customer directions strategies (YES THIS IS A THING!). How are you guiding your customer to come see your top dollar items? Fix this and you will begin to see many improvements.

"Overworked but underpaid"

Former Employee - Human Resources Lead in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Lead in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm sure a lot of it depends on the store you're at, but at least at the one I was at, it was a great work environment. The people I worked with were pretty awesome. As a lead, I wasn't allowed to work more than forty hours per week, so the work / life balance aspect was very good. Associates are given a pretty thorough training program.

Cons

As the HR / Office Lead, I was responsible for overseeing both the Human Resources functions as well as the cash office (including daily deposit and reports). Not to mention, most times of the year, I was only allowed to give my one employee in my department fifteen hours a week or less. So basically my department (me and the one employee) were expected to run two major aspects of the store in 55 hours a week or less, and there was about eighty hours' worth of work. On top of that, I was still part of the management team, and as such, was also expected to help manage operations of the entire store including customer issues / disputes. It was honestly too much work for as little pay as they would offer. Many aspects of the company have been outsourced to other companies (and not all in the US), which made many of the processes more difficult and complicated than they needed to be. Not to mention, when a customer issue was involved, many things were out of our hands at the store level, and if you try explaining that to the customer, they don't get it - to them, "Sears is Sears", so if something was wrong with an installation, why couldn't we managers take care of it? Because the people who do installations are actually a different company so we have little control there. Needless to say, this made handling customer issues a lot more complicated (and frustrating, both for the employees and the customers) than it needed to be.

Advice to Management

Compensate your store employees (including management) accordingly - if you want a lead to run HR, and the Cash Office, and the store, they deserve to be given more money and hours for their department. Store employees at all levels are underpaid for the responsibilities they are given, and as a result, the company doesn't attract the highest quality of applicants, which in turn results in it being difficult to hire and retain the best people. Instead of outsourcing because it is cheaper, streamline processes to make it easier for your employees to help its customers - it doesn't save you money if it results in permanently losing customers over the hassle, which management is virtually powerless to prevent in many cases since so much has been taken out of their hands.