Sears - With Great Knowledge theres...... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"With Great Knowledge theres......"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Champaign, IL
Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Champaign, IL

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At Sears ive been treated well they have Great training in product Knowledge, sales skills, and custromer problem solving. mix that with loyal customers, and great product brands, and its not a bad place to start out as a salesman, decent money if you are in the right dept and are able to sell. Managers are flexible with scheduals, and willing to help when needed.

Cons

There is limited room for growth, once a manager has filled a posistion they tend to stay, leaving no room to advance in the company, or if the spot opens they fill it from outside the store before advancing from within. The commision is not equal to the Knowledge and abilities of the sales staff. No raises of base salery or comissions rates, the answer is "Sell more if you want to make more." so Sales staff that are deserving of more are dependant on the avalability of customers to make a living. Customers want things handed to them on a silver plater for having spent X amount of dollars over the years with Sears. Information travels slow from corporate down to staff. computers are old and slow the registers are older. great selling products are never in stock durring big sales.

Advice to Management

Remember that Customer Service doesnt just mean helping when they are at the store, its running a company for the benifit of the customer, not the bottom line.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Sold HVAC in Wisconsin"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sharpened my sales skills selling under the 10 steps Sears teaches you. Tuesday meetings you are given lunch.

Cons

Never told how you are compensated, I was forced to sign a document stating I was told. Promised to be given this document and never was. You will kill your car as you drive anywhere from 300-1000 miles per week. You are only paid .20 cents per mile. When your supervisor goes out with you on a sales call they are paid a higher commission than you. Sears is more much expensive on HVAC because of their labor and product charges. I am told much more on Roofs and Window product lines. Treated each employee different and this was obvious. Management makes you feel guilty during the busy season if you want time off. When things are slow, leads disappear and then you are forced to self generate your own leads. You will not get rich working at Sears

Advice to Management

Stop talking about employee's in an open area. I saw you do it on a few occasions. Don't force us to sign a document and never present to us how we are compensated. Finally, learn to control your employee's during sales meetings. Who needs to hear comments and crude remarks from others.

2. "Sears Holding Sales Person"

Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, pretty leniant to salespeople. As an appliance salesperson you can make pretty good money.

Cons

There isn't a lot of communication between managers and associates. Also not a lot of good training. Frequently tell associates what was done wrong instead of the things that were done well, bringing down team morale.

Advice to Management

Focus more on positives and communicate more with team.