Sears - The focus should be on the customer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"The focus should be on the customer"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Middle Management in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People to work with are nice. We work as a team to achieve our goals.

Cons

Change every two months. The district manager changes every two months causing us to re-adapt ourselves. Too much focus on metrics and less focus on the customer.

Advice to Management

Love to see how upper management would handle the daily challenges from customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "good entry level job while attending school"

Current Employee - Tech I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tech I in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule,free uniforms, tattoos ok,a lot to learn

Cons

you have to buy some of your own tools,can be a bit cut throat

2. "terrible company"

Former Employee - Studio Associate in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- It was fun working with kids and babies sometimes
    - It was rewarding when customers told you they had a wonderful experience and loved your photos
    - the other associates I worked with were great
    - opportunity for bonuses
    - quitting is extremely satisfying because it's such a horribly run company

Cons

- you're either really busy or have nothing to do
    - each studio is expected to meet completely unrealistic sales goals
    - the studio is closed for a specific hour each day, so if you're still with customers during that lunch hour you don't get lunch that day, which is ILLEGAL
    - they care more about sales than actually taking good photos for the customer
    - customers can book appointments at closing time
    - corporate is always giving out coupons for a free print or a $7.99 package and expect you to talk the customers into buying one of the expensive packages... it's not going to happen!
    - I was left alone to close the studio while still technically in my training period. I had to call a manager to ask for a bit of help on using the register and before she even helped me she grilled me on what I had sold to the customer I was trying to ring up.
    - Lightroom, which is mandatory for editing photos, was only on one computer. If you and a co-worker finished photographing your customers around the same time one of you was stuck waiting to use the Lightroom computer, which kept your customer waiting around longer.
    - they expect way too much from you for the little pay they're willing to give you
    - when I worked one Saturday with another new employee the DM kept calling to check up on us and would criticize us for not dragging in new customers from out in the mall
    - low morals... one manager told me to never tell customers that an unedited sheet of pictures is $10 and wanted me sell them for $20 a sheet, which is the cost of the edited sheets.

Advice to Management

stop giving out coupons constantly if you want your employees to make $100+ sales, don't leave new employees on their own while they're still training, put Lightroom on every computer, stop with the impossible sales goals, focus more on photography - if the photos are good they will sell themselves!