Sears - Some Management and Sales Goal Make this position undesirable! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Some Management and Sales Goal Make this position undesirable!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount
Co-workers
Somewhat of a laid back environment no customers
commission is nice when you get it.

Cons

Upper Management is horrible I brought an issue to the attention of my ASM all he said was investigate it on your own (its his job). They are mad when you bother them, disrespectful and give you no appreciation when you do good or go the extra mile. Upper management can care less about the customers. Its NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS!
Having an intimidating store manager doesn't help employee morale

Advice to Management

employees won't do anything for you if you disrespect or don't appreciate them. Eventually your hardest worker will say "screw this I'm not doing that anymore"
restructure Sears, fire "old time" management, and bring in a new culture similar to nordstrom

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

"Great Store, Terrible Corporate"

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in State College, PA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees, great store manager, super flexible work schedule.

Cons

The store manager at Sears State College is great and so is the overall environment. The problem however is that Sears corporate is a joke. Starting pay for all non-commission associates is minimum wage (7.25), and raises can only be given on a yearly basis of a whopping 10 cents per raise. Now this might be fine for an area with high unemployment and low living conditions, but in an area like this one that has been mostly shielded from the recession, it is a joke. There are over a dozen other retail jobs within 5 miles that all have $1-2 higher starting pay, have better raises, and all with open positions! This leads to the store being terribly understaffed, and as a result, we are forced to do 2x the work under the same pay to keep the store running.

Some other notable cons include:

- 100% pointless and wasteful 14 hours of computer "training" that did not teach me one useful thing.
    - 20 year old computer systems and database
    - 14 year old handheld computers all associates use on a daily basis and whether they work or not is a flip of the coin.
    - While I never used them, the cash registers look older than my mother!

So pretty much every con is a corporate issue, while the store manager is an amazing guy, he has no power over these issues...

Advice to Management

Higher up corporate needs to get their head out of the sand and start improving their company. Its like they know Sears is a sinking ship and do not want to invest any more money in a dying store.

2. "Starting"

Current Employee - Sales Project Consultant in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Project Consultant in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No one over your shoulder

Cons

No base pay for slow times

Advice to Management

Turn over is a killer and bad for overall moral